The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-27-2011, 07:35 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough
Default anyone ever try this dacron for backing?

i figure dacron is dacron, but dacron marketed for flyfishing seems to carry a higher price tag. anyone ever try this stuff for backing: Western Filament Dacron Fishing Line, IGFA Dacron Fishing Line ?
Old 11-27-2011, 08:25 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone ever try this dacron for backing?

Yes, works just fine, just use 30# at the minimum for rods at/over 6wt. Below that the 20# for a trout rod 'hunts.'
fae
Old 11-27-2011, 11:11 PM
hollyw00d will become famous soon enoughhollyw00d will become famous soon enough

after some digging, it looks like this stuff is pretty thick:
20# - 0.019"
30# - 0.028"

Cabela's Prestige backing:
20# - 0.012"
30# - 0.016"
Old 11-27-2011, 11:35 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's interesting, therein lies the price thing. I guess it comes down to how much you need on the reel.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-28-2011, 05:45 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'm in the market for some backing at the moment; that stuff is about half the price of what I've been looking at. I wonder if it is non-stretch? Maybe the color choice also has something to do with the lower price (black, white/green). I don't need the thinner material as far as capacity goes and I actually like the thicker stuff for less chance of binding on the reel.
Old 11-28-2011, 08:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

On my reels where the backing will rarely if ever see the light of day, I use tip-up (icefishing) line that I buy on sale at the end of the winter.
Yes it's thick. but if I even have 50' on the reel, that's probably all I'll ever need.

As for that trolling line, when I was a kid that green/white stuff was all we ever used. I think everyone did.
Old 11-29-2011, 11:13 AM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

I have a big spool of Cortland dacron that I use for backing. It's the green spot stuff used for trolling. It is slightly thicker than their fly line backing, but like some others have said, for the price difference, it's not a major issue. Even with the thicker backing I have plenty of backing capacity.

I have used some of Western Filaments lines in the past, and never had any issues with any of them.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 12-02-2011, 09:37 AM

no time is on a distinguished road

You can purchase 500 ft spools of braided dacron Kite line for $10.00. I’m not sure on the diameter of the line but I use it for all my ice fishing applications in place of the higher priced tip up line. They sell it in 20lb, 30lb, 50lb and higher. It has always worked just as well as any dacron fishing line. Again I’m not sure on the diameter but I believe it would work just fine at fraction of the cost.