The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2011, 08:54 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Saltwater lines

I need some opinions/suggestions for modestly-priced, all around saltwater fly lines in 10wt.

I've been eyeballing the Mainstream, but I know enough to know that I don't know....get it?

All opine's welcomed.
Old 12-09-2011, 10:04 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Saltwater lines

Are you looking for a tropical line or a cold saltwater line?
Old 12-09-2011, 11:04 AM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of

Sub-tropic...fishing in the south mostly
Old 12-09-2011, 08:44 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The taper to the Rio Mainstream line is good for general purpose fishing. It is not as slick as higher end Rio saltwater specialty lines.

If you look hard enough, you could find Sage's Equator Taper floating line for $30. It is a wonderful casting line. It has a good taper that helps throw anything from sparse tarpon flies to weighed down Clouserish flies. I use one on my 12 weight when I go on my Mexican Dorado trips.

Dennis
Old 12-21-2011, 02:29 PM

Mosca,

is that the Equator II?
Old 12-21-2011, 03:25 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The discontinued "Equator II" was built for Sage by RIO and one sale would be a fine line for you.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:32 PM

Yep... It's the equator 2.
Old 01-11-2012, 11:13 AM

spug is on a distinguished road

The Rio Mainstream Saltwater is so close to the Tropical Clouser it is scary. Almost the same taper and feel. I have both for my 7wt. and the Mainstream is about half the price. Very tough stuff and casts great even in winter in Florida. Yes, it gets a little chilly!