The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 04:36 PM

tpcollins is on a distinguished road
Default Difference in sinking line, intermediate, and sink tip?

I understand the sink levels of S1, S3, S6, etc., and what these rates mean in sink inches per seconds. What I don't understand is the diiference in the terminology for sinking line, intermediate, and sink tip. I want to strip leech patterns to salmon holding over gravel at depths of 2'-to 6' or so in rather swift river currents. I'll be using a 10wt and furled leaders - perhaps all fluorocarbon (so they'll sink) or a combination thread/fluoro hybrid.

Is there a certain style of line I should consider and leader length? I don't want to have a leader so long that it compromises the sinking line by floating up and away from the bottom. Any help would be appreciated, thanks.
Old 12-18-2011, 06:31 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Difference in sinking line, intermediate, and sink tip?

I use a sinking line and intermediate for fishing stillwaters. The sinking line is used for probing deep and the intermediate (usually a very slow sinking line, 1-2 inches/sec) for probing the shallows/shoreline. I use a sink tip for fishing streams, throwing streamers at the banks. When I lived in Alaska, I used a sink tip (very heavy) for getting down in the fast currents with a 20-25 lb mono leader, about 3-4 ft in length. Here in Wyoming when fishing for trout I use a 10-12 lb tippet of about 3-4 ft in length. When fishing streamers, I don't think the fish are particularly leader shy so I don't think the fluoro is necessary.

Larry

Old 12-19-2011, 07:25 AM

okuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of lightokuma is a glorious beacon of light
Send a message via Yahoo to okuma

When using any line other than floating, I personally, don't run leaders. I use about four feet of tippet only from the end of the non floating line.
Old 12-19-2011, 06:36 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I use one of Joni's kevler furled leaders (5ft), and 3 to 5 feet of tippet or 4lb flouro when fishing a sinking line, seems to work ok for me.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-20-2011, 11:19 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpcollins View Post
What I don't understand is the diiference in the terminology for sinking line, intermediate, and sink tip. I want to strip leech patterns to salmon holding over gravel at depths of 2'-to 6' or so in rather swift river currents. I'll be using a 10wt and furled leaders - perhaps all fluorocarbon (so they'll sink) or a combination thread/fluoro hybrid.
An intermediate line is just a slow full sinking line, and you definitely don't want to use a full sinking line in a swift current. You'd have no control.

As for sink tips, there's the standard with a 10' tip and then there's what's known as an integrated head line with a sinking tip of about 24'. That's what you're going to want.
The integrated line weight is measured in grains and I would think that for a 10wt rod a 375-400 grain line should be just about right for what you describe

You won't need fluorocarbon nor will you need a furled leader on a sinking line in fast conditions.
2-4' of straight mono would do just fine.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:54 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Sorry, I should have stated that I fish mostly stillwater with my sinking lines and I think having the thread and kevlar furled leader with the tippet gives you better action then just straight mono - though I have done that as well on occasion.

For the river, I generally just used a floating line and 6 to 9 feet of 4lb to 6 lb flouro depending on where I am fishing and how fast the water is. I will even occasionally put a thingamabobber on it to keep it bouncing at the right depth in slower or shallower water.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 12-21-2011, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

tpcollins

As the guys have said an Intermediate is just a line that sinks very slowly-- more or less of neutral density that just suspends in the water column. I use one for fishing shallow flats in saltwater.

On a full sink, sinking fly line the whole fly line sinks-- this would be good if like Webrx you're fishing stillwater because it allows you to have a more or less straight line connection between your rod and the fly since the whole line sinks.

On a sink tip the front portion (or tip) of the fly line sinks while the rest of the fly line floats. On moving water this is great because you can mend the floating portion of the fly line to get a more natural presentation. You can get sink tips in different lengths-- I typically use 10' sink tips in moving water.

Another option you may want to try before investing in a sink tip fly line is a Poly Leader (from Airflo) or Versi Leader (from Rio) for about $13. They come in different head lengths (a typical choice is 10 feet) and different densities.

What kind of rod are you using-- single hand or spey? At what distance do you typically fish -- short casts working pockets, or longer distances covering a lot of water?

We have a lot of folks that fish for steelhead and salmon on the forum that might be able to weigh in with some suggestions...