The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2011, 07:20 AM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about
Default Wulff TT more reel space than WF?

Does this taper take up more room on the reel than a WF design? If so, significantly more?
Thanks,
Rich
Old 12-27-2011, 10:09 AM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future
Default Re: Wulff TT more reel space than WF?

Not that I've noticed. I use it on my 3wt and 5wt and haven't had to reduce the backing on either reels.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:45 PM

fishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura aboutfishiowa has a spectacular aura about

Thanks,
Rich
Old 01-09-2012, 03:35 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Though the Wulff WFTT is a half-size heavy line, it has thinner running line than most WF lines, thus taking up "average" capaciaty on a reel. There are many who swear by this design but I'll caution a few things: 1. Unless you are extending all or most of the head during a cast it does not load some rods very well, not great for short casts with a long leader. 2. the abrupt change in diameter from the rear (thickest) part of the head to that thin running line can yield a "hinge" when mending or reach csting. 3. Due to its small diameter, the running line tangles more than some others.

Just muinets ago, I finished winding one off a reel and re-rigging it with an extended head, long rear taper design.
Old 01-11-2012, 12:09 PM

spug is on a distinguished road

The TT line is still a weight forward line. It just has a progressive taper down from theback of the head to the tip as opposed to most other WF lines that have "steps" in different locations on the head. Personally I love the stuff foe longer casts but like sweetandsalt said, it has a hard time loading faster rods with less than the full head out. I fished the Bermuda Triangle on my TCX 7 for a year and really liked it! For dock lights (shorter casts) I would load it up with a heavier line.

Scroll through SA's or Rio's site for example and they show all of their line tapers. That'll give you an idea of the thousands of different shaped WF heads out there. It can make you crazy! It did me for a couple years when I started really studying lines. Also, look at the actual grain ratings before making decisions. Hope this helps!
Old 01-11-2012, 02:05 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

I should have added in my post that fish alot of glass rods and they do fine at short distance and rollcast like a dream long or short.