The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 11:34 PM

dans89 is on a distinguished road
Default Shooting line??

What's it for? Here's a link to what I'm talking about.

Cabela's: Frog Hair Gamma Shooting Line
Old 12-30-2011, 01:09 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shooting line??

It is the level line that is between a shooting head and the backing.
Old 12-30-2011, 11:55 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Sunset Amnesia is used for the same purpose. See the description below to see how it is used

Sunset Amnesia Shooting Line, Lines & Backing, Fly Lines & Backing, Fly-Fishing, Fishing : Cabela's

Personally, I like running line rather than shooting line. They are not the same. Running line is small caliber level floating fly line and is used to make 2 WF floating lines from a single DT fly line.

Cortland - 444 SL Classic - Running Line (100')

Shooting line gives you longer casts but running line floats and you can mend it. Running line is fly line and shooting line is monofilament.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 12-30-2011, 12:02 PM

sandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to beholdsandfly is a splendid one to behold

running line is typically the last 60' of a weight forward line, companys make it in 100 ft. coils to add to a shooting head. it will not cast as far as a shooting line though. I like to use cortland braided mono in 100 ft. coils for my shooting lines as you don not have to streatch them like others (amnesia) to lay flat. you can get them to float some what by running them through some wax. rio slick shooter is another good one.
N.J.B.B.A. #2215

I did not escape.....they gave me a day pass!
from the outer edge of nowhere
fly tying and fishing Gillie..
Old 12-30-2011, 12:11 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to SC's comment above. Where you really see (the 100 foot'ers) in action is with Spey Rod shooting heads. Heads (rod length dependent) will be in the high 20' range to mid-30's. Rather than change a whole line out, you just swap heads as fishing conditions 'change.'

Using the Cortland one as an example the lighest would be used with 3-5 weight heads, the mid with 5-7's and the fattest with 8 weight head and up. Or another way of looking at it is the head's grain weight; the lighter the GW, the lighter the shooting line you'd (typically) choose behind same.

fae
Old 01-09-2012, 11:49 PM

Good info guys. Thanks for the awesome responses. It's nice to have found a place where the members will answer even the most ridiculous questions
Old 01-10-2012, 03:00 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Dan,

This is the first I've run across a post from you. it's good to have you on the forum and the fellows will always be willing to help. Please never hesitate to ask whatever you need to know, and welcome to the forum.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-10-2012, 10:34 PM

Thanks Ard. Glad to be on board.
Old 03-11-2012, 07:21 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I saw this post and it got me interested, so I came up with a guinea pig project to try. I have a "floating monofilament" centerpin main line called Siglon F, made by Sunline. I had it on a centerpin rig that I haven't used in forever. When I had it on there, it floated well enough, but (despite manufacturer claims) it got stiff in cold weather, and tying knots was all but impossible. I took it off and went back to Ande mono before I pretty much gave up centerpin fishing altogether. I now live in a much warmer region, so I figured I'd do a little experimentation. I'm considering spooling it up as a shooting line and putting on a shooting head (made from about 30 feet of a DT10F line) just to see what happens. Has anybody ever used this kind of line for anything like that? It floats like a running line, but it's pretty slick and thin, so it just leaves me scratching my head.
Old 03-12-2012, 01:43 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

A standard AFTMA line (non-spey) will run right at 280 grains (give or take 10) as they're rated for just the first 30 feet. So what you want to build would work for a light spey rod as what you're describing is just how a lot of these lines were first developed.

As to how this would handle as a shooting head with a standard 1-hander I'll leave that to wiser minds than mine.