The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-11-2012, 01:27 PM
andyosborne is on a distinguished road
Default prefered line???????

I need to reline the reel i bought as it came with level line. I only fish streams and rivers so what would be my prefered choice?
My rod is a 9' 5/6 weight.

thanks
Old 01-11-2012, 01:54 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: prefered line???????

It's mostly a matter of personal choice. However, are you using dry flies, or nymphs & streamers the most? Some folks like a DT line for dry flies, rather than a WF, while others use a WF more so when using nymphs & streamers. Either will work.

DT lines are generally easier to mend, while WF lines are generally better for longer casting situations. I say generally, because fishing situations will always vary & no two anglers will always agree on which works best for them in said situations. I tried a DT line on my 6 wt many years ago, and just didn't like it. I'm sure it was me & not the line. All my rods, from 3 wt up to 10 wt that have full lines on them (not counting shooting heads) all have WF lines of various types.

Within each type of line category, there are many variations to the tapers, and each is supposed to be better for specific applications. You have to decide what you need the line to do & pick something that best fits the majority of the fishing situations you'll encounter with that line.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-11-2012, 03:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Have you cast the level line yet? I'm curious because I haven't owned one since my very first line. Depending on your casting and the range you fish, who knows until you try it.

This past summer I made some pretty good casts on the back lawn using an 8' piece of 3.5" wide cedar base board with a DT #11 line tied to the top of the board.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-11-2012, 04:09 PM

now what about a sinking vs floating line? which is better for trout and salmon? sorry so many questions but whats a rookie to do??!!!
Old 01-11-2012, 07:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Andy,

There are many who have their own preferences and I am no different than the many, I like floating line and leaders that will help to sink the fly. That would be for fishing streamers and big wet flies, I like a floater with a mono leader tipped with fluorocarbon for dry fly fishing.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-11-2012, 07:41 PM

Thanks HR.

Are the pipelines still hiring alot of guys?
Old 01-11-2012, 09:41 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of

Sinking versus floating, again, it depends on the conditions & what you need to do with it. Obviously, if you're using surface flies, you should be using a floating line. But with subsurface flies, either could work. I fish a lot in shallow tidal creeks for bass & Striped Bass, and use a floating line much of the time. Most places are less than 10 ft deep, and more so less than 5 ft deep so the floating line works well. There is some current , but not enough to warrant using a sinking line. Now, there are other places, where there is both a stronger current, and more depth, so I will use a sinking line. If I get out into the bay, I may even use a fast sinking line, due to there being even more depth, and fish can often be down to 30 ft or more. Although, with flies I don't try to fish deeper than 30 ft too often. Beyond that depth, I'll usually switch tackle.

The type of line you choose is about controlling your line & the fly. In many situations, a floating line will be fine, but in others, a sinking line will be a better choice.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 01-12-2012, 01:06 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Edit 1/15/12

I reread the original post. My suggestion was way off from what I would recommend.

Dennis

Last edited by MoscaPescador; 01-15-2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: gave incorrect info
Old 01-15-2012, 10:54 PM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Andy,

The only time I fished a sinking line in Maine was during and after ice out when fishing lakes when the smelt run didn't occur before ice out. I had a couple spots in Rangeley Lake that were great for brookies 2 to 4 lbs on black ghosts deep right after ice out. Also for landlocks on a couple "ponds" in that region with feeder streams supporting smelt runs.

For the rest of the year, Hardyreels' method (edit: his method with the fly rod not the base board ) is what I used for all river fishing and most pond and lake fishing as well.

Good luck.

Last edited by wjc; 01-15-2012 at 11:12 PM.