The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2012, 08:29 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute
Default Finally free of the aftma!!! :)

I'm finally free of their nonsense! Since I ventured into two handed rods and bought a digital scale to weight heads I've realized what a mess the "standards" are. Do yourself a favor and buy a $20 postage scale, it will save you tons of stress.
Last night I weighed 5 different 9wt lines by 3 different manufactures. No two weighed the same! There was a 42 grain difference between the lightest and the heaviest 9wt line! It's hard enough to dial in a new rod without having to deal with that! With all the variances in rod and fly line manufacturing how are we supposed to dial in without spending more money than we should? I have 4 9wt rods on my rod rack and 8 lines, if I randomly chose a rod and line from the rack I could be as much as 2 line "wt's" away from the ideal setup!!!
Why would you only measure only the first 30' when some lines have 35' heads? Why would you ignore the the level tip of a line when you rate a line? If it's outside the tip and has mass it will affect your cast, no? As of last night all of my lines have been weighed and labeled in gr weight. Dialing in future rods should be a lot easier. Sorry if this turned into a rant but it was meant to help out. Here's what you will need to get free:

Digital postal scale $20
Conversion rate 1 gram = 15.43236grains (I use an online converter)
A desire to do what you want, not what others tell you to do
Old 01-26-2012, 08:52 AM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Finally free of the aftma!!! :)

Nice info
I have couple questions. How do you know from the rod specs what grain weight it will throw under ideal conditions (if such things exist)? I guess i'm asking how can select the correct line for my rod.
Example - i just got a new 3wt and have yet to get a reel, never mind line. I havent even started looking for lines yet, so what should i be looking for to help me line the rod to achieve the best cast.

Addicted To Vise
Old 01-26-2012, 09:01 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by s fontinalis View Post
Nice info
I have couple questions. How do you know from the rod specs what grain weight it will throw under ideal conditions (if such things exist)? I guess i'm asking how can select the correct line for my rod.
Example - i just got a new 3wt and have yet to get a reel, never mind line. I havent even started looking for lines yet, so what should i be looking for to help me line the rod to achieve the best cast.
What's the closest thing to a 3wt line that you already own? There is still some testing involved but when I spool up my first line and test cast I get a feel for the rod. Is it overloading or is the line alittle light? If I feel the rod is underlined I go 20-40 grains up. That heavier line might be labeled by the manufacturer as a 3wt, or a 4wt, or even a 5wt. It doesn't matter what the manufacturer says I now have a solid basis for increasing or decreasing line mass to tune in a rod.
Old 01-29-2012, 01:59 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Cool Re: Finally free of the aftma!!! :)

I got my scale several years ago including a couple sets of calipers for measuring the line diameter/taper, etc but don't get too wrapped up in the weight as it's a combination of the weight of the first X number of feet, plus the length of your average cast, plus the multiple diameters of the various points of the tapers and running line and more that determines the match between rod and line. Heck, even the air resistance or not, and the weight or not of a given fly tweaks the equation a bit! Of course you already most likely knew all that but whether you use the scale to weigh lines or use one of the old Cortland rod weight determining device*, it is all about that tweaking in the end analysis.

*That was a set of pegs where you placed the assembled rod with a calibrated weight hanging from it's tip, and then a chart behind the area where the tips reached. The amount of deflection on the tip chart tells you the rod weight.

http://www.flyfishingforum.com/exper...ineratings.htm then there is the range over which a line remains a five weight for instance! But then do you measure the first 30 ft or the first thirty feet from the start of taper, or the start of taper plus 6 inches, or the start of taper plus 2 ft?????? All legit questions for certain!
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 01-29-2012, 03:04 PM

I weigh the line from the very tip until it tapers down into running line. Regardless of how long that is that is typically what I keep outside the tip when starting a cast. There will always be some fine tuning to get a rod on point but atleast now when I feel a rod needs a little more or less mass to cast better I have a better reference for grabbing a different line.
Old 04-30-2012, 10:13 AM

spug is on a distinguished road

It's not so much the AFTMA as the line companies.
I started doing the same thing a few years back and my mind was blown! Isn't it liberating? I have a zero'd out Umpqua line scale and it's great. All lines should be labeled in 30 and 45 foot grain weights. Life would be so much easier for everybody.

---------- Post added at 09:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:11 AM ----------

And we should all have one of these in our wallet until it is memorized!

AFTMA Fly line weight ratings
Old 05-08-2012, 05:45 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I see Rio gives not only 30' head weight but total head weight as well. It's a start, no?
RIO Gold Fly Line | Rio
Old 05-08-2012, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
I see Rio gives not only 30' head weight but total head weight as well. It's a start, no?
RIO Gold Fly Line | Rio
We might be getting somewhere...
Old 05-15-2012, 10:02 AM

spug is on a distinguished road

Yup, they are the only one.