The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-29-2012, 09:19 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default How to Convert the Old Line Weights to Modern AFTMA Line Weights;

For those members who buy or inherit old fly rods that bear the letter line weight designation on the butt sections, use this; Fly line conversion to old-style letter to figure things out.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 11-09-2013 at 03:06 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:12 PM

fire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to beholdfire instructor is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: How to Convert the Old Line Weights to Modern AFTMA Line Weights;

I'm confused.... I have an old 40+ y/o Wonderrod that's listed as using C, D, HDH, HCH, and 8H lines.

According to your chart:

C = 7 level
D = 6 level
HDH = 6 DT
HCH = 7 DT
8H = un-listed....

So I'm thinking I should throw a 6 or 7 WF on it, and give it a shot....

"A leader with great passion and few skills always outperforms a leader with great skills and little passion." Chief Rick Lasky
Old 01-29-2012, 11:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Rick,

The chart is just one I have had in my browser for a few years. Since this comes up time to time I thought it may serve as a general guideline to sort out line from old to new.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-30-2012, 11:12 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Ard,
Thanks for posting the chart; I've had several people ask about line sizes on old rods...This saves me from looking it up..
Dan
Old 07-14-2012, 07:12 AM

wjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant futurewjc has a brilliant future

Thanks Ard! Now I know what weight line I was throwing as a kid on my South Bend rod, and why the WF line seemed so heavy.
Old 07-14-2012, 07:32 AM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Rick I think you'll find a #6WF will be Fine,a #5 Rio Grand might even be OK ??
The reason The Early Lines were heavy they became waterlogged.
I remember the HCH or 7 DT Lines very well,from the late 50s,early 60s until The Weight Fowards arrived on the scene as they were all you could buy.
I still have a new HCH Line on a Reel I kept as I was chasing a Hardy's Classic Top of The Range Rod which belonged to a Fishing Mate of my Fathers which I had hoped to purchase & one day use,however now I would probably use a modern DT or even a WF Line instead.
Brian.
Old 07-14-2012, 08:56 AM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks, a useful chart. That said, some of the old lines/weights/rods are somewhat iffy. I have an old Orvis Madison, recommended weight is HGH but throws a 6 weight beautifully.
Old 08-24-2012, 05:57 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

That chart, made by SA, may have been accurate years ago for the Scientific Angler lines, but little else.

You can't get from diameters to line weights; there are too many variables.

Think about it, the difference in weight between silk, Nylon, and PVC is tremendous. Then, the silk or Nylon braided line would have been "oil finished". Since different manufacturers used different oil/varnish/resin mixes, there is another weight variable. Tight braid or loose braid?

The taper itself is the greatest factor to consider. Silk, and later Nylon, lines might have up to twelve feet of level line at the tip. Then the front taper might have been four feet or fifteen feet. If it was a WF, the belly might have been six feet or thirty feet. Then you have the "holding line", the back taper, and the running line... all variables.

So, how can HCH translate into a weight? It can't.

"You can't get there from here."

http://overmywaders.com