The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2010, 12:06 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future
Default Shrink Wrap vs Other?

No matter what I've said or thought about shrink wrap in the past it just doesn't pass through the guides for me.
Here's my thought but I'll entertain any ideas. Cut off the shrink wrap (hate to damage fly line, BUT???). Nail knot a short piece of mono to the fly line and put a perfection loop on the leader end. Here are my questions: What size mono for say 4 wt; 6 wt; 8 wt? How long do I make the mono section? OR, is there a much better way to approach this whole problem?
Old 07-05-2010, 01:38 PM

Brewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really niceBrewmaster is just really nice
Default Re: Shrink Wrap vs Other?

Jimmie,

I have been using Amnesia shooting line for leader butts for years, it works well and is a fairly simple process. I nail knot a short length of Amnesia line rather than regular mono to the fly line then tie a Perfection loop in the end of the Amnesia line - this provides the "loop" for your "loop-to-loop" connection. Regular mono can take a set if it is left coiled on your reel for a while, while Amnesia has almost no memory.

You want to use a decent weight Amnesia line so you do not get the hinging effect between the fly line and the leader. I use 15kb for 3wt and 4wt lines, 20lb for 5wt and 6wt lines, and 25 lb for 7wt and 8wt lines. Just make sure that the Amnesia is not stronger than your backing if you will be getting into bigger fish (salmon, etc.).

I usually cut a piece of Amnesia about 12" long, mainly so it is convenient to handle when tying the loops. I usually end up with the leader butt being about 4"-5" long, never longer than 6". Of course that is just my preference in leader butt length, I am sure there are others who leave it longer.

Hope this helps.
Old 07-05-2010, 01:50 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Hi Jimmie,
Brewmaster (and Frank) gave me the same advice a couple of weeks ago and I decided to take it. Purchased some 20lb Amnesia and tied on a short piece. Used a perfection loop to connect my furled leader and never looked back.
You cant even tell that its even there.
I was going to post a thank you on my earlier thread but I thought this was a way to kill two birds with one stone. Give a thank you and a testimonial.

Thanks again guys, and Jimmie, try the Amnesia. It really is great.

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 07-05-2010, 03:02 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Another vote for Amnesia, I use it on all my salmon and streamer lines. It makes a good sight indicator also when dead drifting a bunny fur comet.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-05-2010, 03:17 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Jimmie,

I size the Amnesia according to the butt diameter of the leaders I am using. I want to be sure that the butt of the leader is not larger than the Amnesia that I tie on. So if the largest butt diameter of the leader is .023 I want the Amnesia to be at least .025. So if the leader butts run .018 to .023 then the .025 Amnesia works great.

Frank
Old 07-05-2010, 07:11 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Thanks a lot guys. I really appreciate your input. That helps a bunch. Amnesia it is. I'll probably order it tonight.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:15 AM

FISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to beholdFISHN50 is a splendid one to behold

I used to use a 8" section of amnesia nail knotted to the flyline & a loop on the other end but lately I've been just putting a loop on the flyline using this method.

It's simple & effective & you get a smooth loop in the end of the line. I've used nail knots, needle nail knots directly to a tapered leader & when the leader needed changing I would just leave a 12' section on & put a perfection loop in that & attach the new leader to that. For the past year or so I've been making & using Furled leaders & the loop in the flyline works the best for me..... IMHP

Neil