The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 11:21 AM

houli has a spectacular aura abouthouli has a spectacular aura about
Default Gel-spun vs Dacron Backing

I'm outfitting my new Lamson Guru 3.0 reel and not sure what to get. I'd like to have versatility of both fresh and salt so leaning toward GSP to get more capacity on the reel (manufacturer says 150 yds of 20# - assuming dacron here).

Anyone have an opinion here? Go with 20lb Dacron, 30lb GSP or 45lb GSP? How much GSP is enough for salt (schoolie striper, smallish bonefish/redfish etc.)

Thanks.
Old 02-07-2012, 11:26 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Gel-spun vs Dacron Backing

GSP WILL cut you if you put your finger to it, BUT you can fit a total mess of it on a spool. If you're going to put the GSP on there, I'd say go for the thicker stuff just for the sake of your fingers! It does come in such awesome colors though

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-07-2012, 01:12 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Both of the materials have their supporters for various reasons. Years ago I bought a big spool (1200 yards) of 36 pound Cortland Salt Water Micron and that is what I use. The 36 lb gives a sense of security as long as the leader doesn't exceed 20 pounds. capacity can be an issue but I tend toward bigger reels for big game fish so they almost always hold at least 200 yards of backing even with 120' heavy Spey lines on the reels. When you think about it, unless you are blue water fishing from a boat having a fish get 100 yards away from you is a long shot. I get tangled up with some strong fish here and I don't think they ever get a hundred yards outta me. If they look like they might do it I work hard to get that fly line back on the spool. Backing is insurance and if you get into the habit of letting fish run you out you may one day lose the whole kit and caboodle.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-07-2012, 01:51 PM

thanks for the input.

80% of my fishing is freshwater LMB and SMB ..... 20% will be Chesapeake Bay and OBX (surf launch kayak).

I'm leaning toward 30lb GSP to get 200 yds on ..... do not want to lose kits or caboodles let alone both!
Old 02-07-2012, 03:21 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

For LMB and SMB, you will rarely see your backing. Stick with 20 pound test Micron which is Cortland's version of Dacron, but it is thinner.

For small schoolie stripers or reds, I don't think that you will be into your backing.

A small Bonefish can take you into your backing, but it won't do that often unless a Barracuda or a shark decides to make it a meal.

Depending on whose braid you are using, 45 pound test super braid can be as thin as 10 pound test Dacron and as heavy as 20 pound test Dacron.

I have always been partial to Daiwa Samurai Braid. Unlike GSP braids, it is not very abrasive. The 55 pound test Samurai Braid that I use on my saltwater reels has the same diameter of 12 pound test Dacron.

Dennis
Old 02-07-2012, 04:41 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

Braid Lines are great for backing however you will find,even with the some of the expensive ones you can get colour leaching onto The Flyline which I've had in Freshwater.
Also be very careful with the real fine Braid it can cut & cause a nasty laseration,so set your drag & keep your fingers off the line.
Brian.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:27 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Brian, Don't you folks Down Under make some sort of pink, "coated" braid that proports to be kinder to our line hand? And a couple of companies, Shimano being one, market a softer hollow core braid. I have stuck with #30 Micron in the salt because of concern over a handling misshap and also because I am a "knotter" rather than a "splicer". Like H-R, I prefer larger reels for both balance and capacity (& I ignor the reel mfg. line designation). However, for tarpon and tuna braid is probably an advantage.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:53 AM

Sounds like I'm not going to go wrong either way (150 yds of 20# dacron or 250 yds of 30/35/45/50 lb GSP). Orvis down the street has 2 different types of GSP (both pretty pricey: 35lb = $24/200yd - 50lb = $65/400yd - 30lb Hi Viz = $30/200yd - 45lb Hi Viz = $59/400yd) and a braided dacron that's much cheaper (20lb = $7.50/150 yd). Thinking I may go with dacron for this reel and maybe down the road when i pick up a bigger salt water specific setup for a 9wt+ I'll go GSP.

As it was said here - if i hookup with something that runs me 150 yds into the backing w/o being able to turn its head ..... fish wins.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:43 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

There is something I failed to mention on post number one here. Most of my reels have what could be considered a small arbor by todays standards. The backing (for my use) has 2 functions, it does provide some leeway if a fish decides to go more than 120' from my reel and I am for some reason unable to stop the rush. Secondly the back line serves to fill up the reels for both aesthetics and to provide a large arbor effect to the retrieve rate. With the reel you own arbor size is already quite large and capacity may be an issue so the thinner stuff may serve better.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2012, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
There is something I failed to mention on post number one here. Most of my reels have what could be considered a small arbor by todays standards. The backing (for my use) has 2 functions, it does provide some leeway if a fish decides to go more than 120' from my reel and I am for some reason unable to stop the rush. Secondly the back line serves to fill up the reels for both aesthetics and to provide a large arbor effect to the retrieve rate. With the reel you own arbor size is already quite large and capacity may be an issue so the thinner stuff may serve better.

Ard
So does this mean you'd recommend GSP?? If so what amount of what # test?