The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 01:36 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Would you buy a SW line if.....

Im debating buying a saltwater line for my 8 wt, would you do it pending these conditions:

1. matches rod weight
2. I dont live anywhere close to SW, HOWEVER...
3. atleast 1 to twice a year I do venture to fishable saltwater
4. in the next few years I plan to move within an hour or 2 of salt
5. its on super happy clearance for over half off.

So Im really tempted to buy it just to have it ready for when the time comes so i dont have to scramble and find some.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-07-2012, 01:59 PM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Would you buy a SW line if.....

Personally, I think the SW designation is more marketing than anything. There are lines designed to work in warm (tropical) or colder water, but otherwise, I doubt you could see much difference. I have different lines I use for bass & "SW" fishing, and really don't see much difference. Even have one designated as a Steelhead & Salmon line, and it casts about the same as my SW lines. There are slight differences in the taper design I'm sure, but generally, for the fishing I do, one is as good as another. I don't fish much in "true" saltwater, most of my fishing is in brackish water, and often it's more freshwater than salt, but the times I have, I'm using the same lines.

If the price is good, and you need a new line, sure give it a try!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-07-2012, 04:09 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Don't even bother buying a saltwater line unless you plan on making a saltwater fly fishing trip.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:44 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

A few points:

While SW itself doesn't effect performance (except for flotation) most SW applications are significantly different from FW applications.

For instance, many SW Fisherman prefer a line that floats in the water instead of on the water. They are not mending line in Stillwater presentations, and drag on the surface can be used to quickly load the line for quick casts when a fish pops up on the flats.

The other issue is temperature. While SW itself doesn't effect line coatings much, heat like cold has huge effects on line performance. While striper lines are formulated for colder water, most SW lines are biased towards the tropical heat side.

There are a few great lines that crossover though. For the record I can't think of any great trout line that work well in the Salt or vice versa, But, I've had great success with a few species specific lines that work great for other applications. For instance Cortlands Redfish line is a great bass line. In fact Bill Shear the great Wisc. Musky Smallmouth guide turned me on that one.

I also like Cortlands Little Tunny intermediate for throwing Big Pike and Muskie flies and for carp in the Great Lakes. It has a camo finish (no flash) and an aggressive taper for turning over flies in the wind. Obviously I rep Cortland, but I suspect Rio, SA and Airflow have a few similar crossovers in their catalogs.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:59 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I always use regular weight forward line in the salt. Never anything different. If they don't work as 'needed' I'll modify them by cutting back the tip.
You don't necessarily want to do as I do, but don't fall for marketing hype either

Quote:
For instance, many SW Fisherman prefer a line that floats in the water instead of on the water. They are not mending line in Stillwater presentations, and drag on the surface can be used to quickly load the line for quick casts when a fish pops up on the flats.
I count on being able to mend my line in salt water. Mending is an age old and basic fly fishing techninque so why would you differentiate between fresh water and salt ? The dead drifting and "swinging" techninques as used in salmon fishing is time honored.
Casting and stripping commonly used in modern SW fishing today is a "borrowed" techninque from spin fishing and in no way should represent anything that's needed to get the job done. It's only the style that most "modern" SW fly fishers are exposed too.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 02-07-2012 at 08:34 PM.
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I pick my lines based on taper needed and not water type.I also take into consideration how much memory a line has.If you get a chance to pick up a good line on sale and it fits your needs,go ahead.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:33 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

I think it might go for it anyway just to have it. If I dont need it, I can always sell it to someone else. We are always in hot/warm areas when we visit the oceans, and we are planning to be in Florida soon as perminate residents. While Im sure it probably is marketing, Im sure there is some difference between the two.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 02-08-2012, 10:24 AM

bigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant futurebigjim5589 has a brilliant future

What line are you looking at buying? Is it species specific? Is it a floating line or sinking? Reason I ask, I have a SA Striper line, which as burk mentioned is more for colder water. I rarely fish in cold water, more so in the warm summer months. That line works fine for me in the Chesapeake bay area. I also have a Monic clear line for my 6 wt, which is really intended for tropical waters, but again, when I use it here, it works well. That Salmon/Steelhead line I have is an Orvis line, and again, it's a good line for colder water temps, and I see little difference in how it casts or performs compared to the Striper line, except the Striper line does allow me to cast a bit larger flies, I'm sure the result of a slightly different taper design. I'm casting 1/0 to 3/0, 3"-6" size flies the majority of the time, and either line works well. With larger flies, or heavily weighted, the Striper lines has a slight edge.

I would say that most of us fish in warmer water, probably 60- 65 degrees or warmer. Some of the New England guys who fish the coast in early spring or late fall, are fishing in colder water, below 60 degrees, and down into the low 40's sometimes, so a line not designed for those temps could cause problems because they would be stiff. I know that Monic line I have gets stiff even with cool air temps.

On other sites I frequent, there are still posts by some hardly souls fishing the mouth of the Chesapeake in VA for Stripers & with flies. Water temps here now are about 42 degrees. Many use shooting heads, and I'm sure those colder waters have some effect on their lines, but they're still fishing.

In your case, even a "tropical" line might be fine, since you're only getting to the salt occasionally and as you say when it's warm, and I would bet, like myself, you're not fly fishing when it really gets cold anyway. If it's a line such as a Striper line, you should have little issues using it for bass in your area, and maybe even trout on bigwaters with streamers if there is that type of fishing available to you.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-08-2012, 10:39 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Similar to MP's suggestion, I recommend buying a saltwater line only if its mostly going to be used in saltwater.

Lines that are more dense cut through the wind better. Wind is a constant factor in most salt fishing. Saltwater is more dense than freshwater, so that means floating saltwater lines can be made slightly more dense and still float well enough, while cutting the wind a bit better.

But, that means that it won't float as well in freshwater. Also, if its a bonefish/tropic line, it will be a coily slinky in cool water, interfering with floating and maintaining a good connection to your fly.

For now, I'd recommend something like a bass bug or other warmwater line that's designed for freshwater, but also should work well at turning over larger saltwater flies into the wind.

I also suggest fishing often enough to where this line you're buying now is due for replacement when you move nearer saltwater.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:56 AM

I guess I should have also added, I wasnt going to be actually using this in the time being. I was going to purchase it and leave it boxed or on an extra spool until the time comes to actually need it. However I have decided to for-go it for now.

Storm Drain Bonefisher