The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-07-2012, 01:58 PM

throssing is on a distinguished road
Default Scientific Anglers VPT line

I posted this question on the main general discussion board, but didn't really get a response, so I'll try posting it here in hopes that someone can give me an opinion.

Does anyone have any experience with the SA VPT line? SA touts it as being a very versatile line, being capable of casting small dry flies and nymphs equally well due to its long front taper. It has a shape that reminds me of the shape of the Triangle taper.

Is this just line hype or is there some reason why this shape imparts such versatility?
Old 02-18-2012, 02:11 PM

Default Re: Scientific Anglers VPT line

Since no one apparently had any information on this line, I bought one to try for myself. Although I am by nature a skeptic when it comes to marketing hype for flylines, I must say that I am impressed by the casting performance of this line. It has two sequential front tapers, each about 10 feet long, followed by a belly of 12 feet or so. The first front taper is steep and the second is more gradual. The net result is that thicker line is turning over thinner line for the first 20 feet or so. I found that this helped me turn over the line and also contributed to better roll casting than I have ever done.

I have only lawn cast the line, so I don't know how it feels on stream, but my first impression is strongly positive.

The only criticism I have of this line is the ghastly colors. The front taper is willow green, followed by bright orange belly.

Last edited by throssing; 11-30-2013 at 11:24 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 04:05 PM

dave t is on a distinguished road

Good info on the line. SA makes good line. I bet you will like it if that taper fits your rod and casting style.

It sounds like that line may be similar to RIO's "Grand" line.

Edit: looking closer at the line specs on the SVT, it is different than the RIO line. Pretty interesting.
Old 03-15-2012, 12:46 PM

I fished this line last week, and found it to my liking. The flies--even heavy nymphs--turned over very nicely.
Old 11-30-2013, 11:23 AM

I am bumping this thread because I am curious if anyone else is as enamored with the VPT taper as I continue to be. This line was designed for the European market, I am told, but I am amazed that it has not apparently been adopted by US fly fishermen.