The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-08-2012, 05:12 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all
Default Fluorocarbon Tippet

A question on Fluorocarbon Tippet, Which company do you think make the best? Thanks.

Rick
Old 02-08-2012, 05:22 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Fluorocarbon Tippet

Hi Rick,

I have used Rio and Orvis Mirage with good results all around.
oarfish likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2012, 05:41 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

Thanks Ard!
Do you feel the knots hold up better with that material, and one more thing does it sink or float like mono?

Rick
Old 02-08-2012, 06:09 PM

grassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nicegrassonfly is just really nice

what about the company that invented it? Seaguar
oarfish likes this.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:39 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I like Seaguar and P-Line. As for tippet I use to buy Frog Hair, but I agree with Hardy on Rio and Orvis. But I mostly use regular fluorocarbon and P-Line is first choice.
oarfish likes this.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:05 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Rick,

I double test all knots and they either pass or get re-tied as for float or sink, I've used it to tip my leaders for dry fly fishing and it works fine. Part of the draw was that it was supposed to sink through the surface film so I guess it sinks. I also use a level 8 - 12 pound section as leader for trout & grayling fishing and it works well for this as well.
oarfish likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-08-2012, 07:16 PM

Thanks all, I need to keep up more.

Rick
Joni likes this.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:24 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

+1 for Seaguar and Orvis. I can most often find these in the shops I frequent. I haven't used Rio, though I know it gets favorable results. Seaguar is excellent and probably my preference between the two, I've found it to be better with abrasion even in the shale bottom streams of the Great Lakes tribs I fish.

One thing with Flouro in particular, it's critical to lube the line well as you're synching your knot or it will weaken.

I'm with you Ard, I fish it with dries and have good success. When I'm nymphing or throwing streamers, I put a longer taper of flouro tippet on and even without much shot or indy it seems to go down faster in the water column. At least that's my theory anyway.
oarfish likes this.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:28 PM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

I use Rio with good results, for drys and nymphs ,did buy some trouthunter 6.5x today ,I have heard good response about it.
Old 02-08-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaybo41 View Post
When I'm nymphing or throwing streamers, I put a longer taper of flouro tippet on and even without much shot or indy it seems to go down faster in the water column. At least that's my theory anyway.
Thank you very much for the info!

Rick

---------- Post added at 08:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspey View Post
trouthunter 6.5x today ,I have heard good response about it.
I'll check it out.

Rick