The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2012, 02:33 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about
Default Bass Leader

I have a 7 1/2' tapered bass bug leader on a #8 wt floating line and I am using a 8lb flurocarbon tippet (actually just regular spinning tackle type fluro)of about 18" and a fairly large fly- like a Dahlberg diver. The leader straightens out "pretty good" but the last 1- 2 feet is sort of coiled. In any event what types of leaders do the rest of you use on fairly large bass flies? I'd be interested in the whole terminal set up. I have been using a large loop on the bug so I can change bugs quickly but maybe that isn't the best set up.
Old 02-19-2012, 02:50 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Bass Leader

Quote:
but the last 1- 2 feet is sort of coiled.
What you're using sounds like it's not a bad setup. I used something similar for many years. Although I usually went with a heavier tippet, at least 10 lb, and often up to 15. I also bought regular bulk spools of line for bass fishing. Much cheaper than buying tippet, and line diameter is not critical when fishing for bass. I now use Yozuri Hybrid for tying my own leaders now, and for tippet.

Which end is coiling, the tippet or the butt end? If it's the tippet, you may need to go heavier, or shorten it a little. If it's the butt end, try stretching it a bit before fishing. It's not a bad idea to stretch both the leader & fly lines some before beginning to fish, to get out some of the coils. Makes casting a bit easier too.

This is one thing that Lefty Kreh stresses when he does a casting demonstration.

I use a loop knot much of the time too when fishing topwater flies, but prefer to not get it too large. I would say about 3/8"-1/2" diameter is about what I tie.

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-19-2012, 08:10 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice
Thumbs up The STS Leader Connection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Owl View Post
I have a 7 1/2' tapered bass bug leader on a #8 wt floating line and I am using a 8lb flurocarbon tippet (actually just regular spinning tackle type fluro)of about 18" and a fairly large fly- like a Dahlberg diver. The leader straightens out "pretty good" but the last 1- 2 feet is sort of coiled. In any event what types of leaders do the rest of you use on fairly large bass flies? I'd be interested in the whole terminal set up. I have been using a large loop on the bug so I can change bugs quickly but maybe that isn't the best set up.
The leader is fine but if there are any snags present or/and bigger bass go with at least a 12-15 lb tippet or bigger as indicated. If it's the fly end that's coiling it may be due to the FC as it takes a bit of a tug to straighten and stretch it and same goes for the butt end.

Now to the STS conection---when weeds, snags and slime, or snot as some folks call it, abound as it does in many great Bass Honey Holes, I use this and I call it the Slicker Than Snot connection or STS for short as slime, weeds or debris will not catch and hang on it spooking the fish.

I likely copied if from Dave Whitlock since I've been using it for many years now. Here's the link! On The Water - Warmwater Fly Tyer - by Ward Bean

Use that and tie your fly on with a Trilene Knot and you're read to land the lunkers that usually break folks off.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 02-19-2012, 09:19 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

a lot of good info on this one here
sometimes for me, i simply use a 10' piece of 10 or 12 lb mono (i like maxia personally) looped directly to my fly line.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-20-2012, 12:43 PM

I didn't mention it but I have tried heavier tippet- regular mono- and it will turn over a large bass fly- I just wasn't certain it would cut down on the number of strikes- I'm talking about top water.
The fouled line. On a sinking line I agree, I prefer as few knots as possible. So far I have just done floating bass bugs and I am just getting into the divers and had not thought about picking up weeds, etc.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:41 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road

I do quite a bit of topwater bass and I use a straight piece of #15 mono about 6' long.The ponds I fish have lots of grass and pads so I dont want any knots in the leader other than the connections at both ends.Bass are not spooked by heavy tippets so theres no reason to go light.
Old 02-21-2012, 10:45 AM

Thanks- I'll try that. What type of knot do you use with that heavy mono? Clinch/Trilene, loop?
Old 02-21-2012, 11:36 AM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i use a clinch knot.

ARFE
Old 02-21-2012, 01:51 PM

Shane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the roughShane Stroud is a jewel in the rough

I absolutely love my furled leaders, but when I throw large bass flies into heavy cover, I often go cheaper and simpler. I use a 7 foot twisted leader made from 22 feet of 10# fluorocarbon. I finish it with about 3 feet of 10# fluorocarbon, right off the spool. When throwing big bass flies into junky water, this works great. The fluorocarbon really takes the scrapes from stumps, rocks, and weeds, and bass don't tend to be leader shy anyway.

If I'm throwing large poppers, and there aren't too many weeds, reeds, and such, I sometimes switch to 12# to 15# mono with the same measurements. Haven't really noticed much difference, but physics says that mono floats better than fluoro. Of course, this ain't rocket science...
Old 02-22-2012, 10:51 AM

I have some 30 pound test mono- but (just interested) how do you make a twisted leader?