The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-21-2012, 12:26 PM

cthomas2 will become famous soon enough
Default Lines in storage since 1983. They seem nearly pefect to me. What gives?

I keep posting about this gear from my grandfather. He died in 1983 and took very good care of his stuff. Each line was on a reel, spare reel spool or on a fly line spool and was cleaned and labeled. They were packed dry in boxes. Then my father (who is equally careful with things) put the boxes in tupperware bins in his basement. There they sat 'til last year when I started digging them out to use and learn. At first I bought a couple of new lines and discarded the old ones out of principal. But As I bring more gear home and I go out to pactice cast in the field i have been using the old lines. After close inspection here is what I have found:

All of the lines are very smooth and even. The cast fine, after stretching they are fairly straight and the are 95% like the new lines I bought recently except they are not quite as slick. There are no signs of dry rot or cracking.

Is it possible that these lines that are now almost 30 years old or more are this well preserved? I find it hard to spend hundreds of dollars to replace somthing that still works fine.
Old 02-21-2012, 02:06 PM

bigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud ofbigjim5589 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Lines in storage since 1983. They seem nearly pefect to me. What gives?

It's very likely that those lines are fine because of how & where they were stored.

I think that light, probably UV is the biggest issue with some of the materials that such lines are coated with. Heat is also harmful to many plastics. I have a spool of mono that's 10-12 years old that is still perfectly usable. Light & heat will really weaken mono line. I keep my extra line, mono's, braids, fly lines, etc. (even tying threads) in my basement, which is quite cool, in dark, closed containers, and I have some nylon threads that are well over 20 years old, and still seem to be just fine!

Remember, no one likes to be behind the big truck, but that's better than being under it!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:17 PM

s fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant futures fontinalis has a brilliant future
Send a message via Skype™ to s fontinalis
Default Re: Lines in storage since 1983. They seem nearly pefect to me. What gives?

If they've been stored as you said, then the only difference with todays lines will be the technology that went into making them...
Use them, but if after a while (weeks/months) they start to split, well, you know what to do....get new ones.

Addicted To Vise
Old 02-21-2012, 04:33 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

as before mentioned, the fact that they were kept away from sunlight, makes me think that the lines should be ok.
the issue that you may face after some use is cracking. being on a spool or reel for 30 years can create some serious coil memory, once straightened/casted back out repeatedly could create some cracking issues.
but it sounds like for the time being, that the lines are sound and usable.

casey

ARFE
Old 02-23-2012, 08:49 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Yesterday I was going through my reels, looking for something appropriate for my 'new" rod (c.1939 ) and came across a private label line that I remember buying in 1980 for $15. I haven't used it in years because I thought it was cracked.
It's not, it's perfectly good and I'll be using it this season..and maybe even on the "new" rod.