The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2012, 12:11 PM

herroncobbler is on a distinguished road
Default Line recommendation for a Scott G 3wt

Hi folks. I'm about to acquire a very nice Scott G 6'10" 3-weight.

This will be the shortest and lightest line weight rod I have ever used.

I tend to use Rio Trout DT lines on my 4-weight G2s.

Any recommendations on a line for this Scott G? I'll mostly be throwing little dries and terrestrials on small mountains streams (think Smokies).

Thanks!
Old 02-22-2012, 12:49 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Line recommendation for a Scott G 3wt

I have used the Sage Double Taper II line on my 'dry fly' rods and am very pleased with their performance. You can find the 2010-2011 versions of these lines on deep discounts at present (Cabelas)
Old 02-22-2012, 12:57 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

And the Sage DT is, of course, made by their sister company, RIO. The discontinued Sage lines are a very good value. Note that, if you call Scott customer service, they are pretty good at making line recomendations for thier rods, some of which like lines you might not expect. One Scott I have that I have cast several lines on only likes a particualr Airflo Ridge...which Scott recomended.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:19 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by herroncobbler View Post
I'll mostly be throwing little dries and terrestrials on small mountains streams (think Smokies).

Thanks!
Ah, I think that's key!

Since you'll be fishing what's often referred to as "rhodo-hell", and will be making short casts, you don't want a line with an especially long taper. Examples of this are the SA XPS, Trout Stalker, VPT, or Expert Distance.

I think you'd be better off with a GPX, Rio Gold, or Rio Grand.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 02-22-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Ah, I think that's key!

Since you'll be fishing what's often referred to as "rhodo-hell", and will be making short casts, you don't want a line with an especially long taper. Examples of this are the SA XPS, Trout Stalker, VPT, or Expert Distance.

I think you'd be better off with a GPX, Rio Gold, or Rio Grand.

This is interesting. I bought Rio Trout LT DT lines for my G2 844 and 885. I fish these rods on moderately sized NC streams, but rarely make casts greater than 25-35 feet. I love how these lines lay down at a distance >40 feet or so but I have a hard time casting well at short distances.

I suppose I'd be better off with a WF line if I am going to be casting at short distances, huh?
Old 02-22-2012, 05:18 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Based on what I have read on the line manufacturers web sites - DT and WF have similar tapers (in the same model range), however the WF line has a smaller diameter running line. So, theoretically the WF lines are preferred for longer casts (thinner running line equates to less friction in the rod guides).

Meanwhile DT lines have a front taper, a belly section and a rear taper, both the front and rear tapers are geometrically identical...so such lines are great for longevity (just flip the line when one end wears out) and also for mending. The thicker belly section leads to higher friction than the running line in a WF line.

So, I always presumed that WF lines are traditionally preferred for longer casts (beyond the initial 30ft or so since the front taper is approx 30ft) and DT are preferred for shorter ones. Up to the 30 foot range both lines are very close.
Old 02-22-2012, 08:14 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by herroncobbler View Post
This is interesting. I bought Rio Trout LT DT lines for my G2 844 and 885. I fish these rods on moderately sized NC streams, but rarely make casts greater than 25-35 feet. I love how these lines lay down at a distance >40 feet or so but I have a hard time casting well at short distances.

I suppose I'd be better off with a WF line if I am going to be casting at short distances, huh?
Its not really that simple. I'm fairly sure the WF version of that line has the same front taper, which is longer than is ideal for short casts. That line is designed for delicate presentations with a long front taper, and that means you need more line out to get the rod loaded. The lines I suggested have front tapers that are medium to short in length.

Another option is to stick a 4wt line on it. I'm generally opposed to overlining, but if all your casts are under 30', its a smart move. I've got a fairly stout 3wt that fishes much better with a 4wt line if all casts will be short.

Old 02-22-2012, 09:43 PM

burk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really niceburk48237 is just really nice

I would not use a GPX, Grand, Western Drifter or any overweighted lines or aggressive lines on that rod. The Scott G series tend to be true to line size and much more traditional actions like a bamboo or Winston IM6. I would recommend a Rio Trout, Cortland 444 peach or Platinum. I'm more familiar with the Cortland lines both are less aggressive tapers with fairly long heads which roll cast and mend nicely which will be much more important to you than the ability to shoot line. This is why you like the double tapers on your other G series rods.
Old 02-22-2012, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I would not use a GPX, Grand, Western Drifter or any overweighted lines or aggressive lines on that rod. The Scott G series tend to be true to line size and much more traditional actions like a bamboo or Winston IM6. I would recommend a Rio Trout, Cortland 444 peach or Platinum. I'm more familiar with the Cortland lines both are less aggressive tapers with fairly long heads which roll cast and mend nicely which will be much more important to you than the ability to shoot line. This is why you like the double tapers on your other G series rods.
I had forgotten about the Cortland 444 peach. I fished that line when I was younger. I almost put one on my G2's, but settled for the Rio Trout LT DT's.

I am thinking that little 6'10" piece of sweetness is going to want the peach.

Now if I could only settle on a reel...
Old 02-23-2012, 09:24 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by burk48237 View Post
I would not use a GPX, Grand, Western Drifter or any overweighted lines or aggressive lines on that rod. The Scott G series tend to be true to line size and much more traditional actions like a bamboo or Winston IM6.
I would completely agree if he was fishing anywhere but the Appalaichan area.

Click the image to open in full size.