The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2012, 12:43 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Switch rods..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
First, defer to the local experts on how they fish the waters that you intend to fish.

I have a feeling that they would err towards a shorter Skagit style shooting head with varying lengths of T8, T10, or T14 sinking tips. Those should get your flies to depth.

Dennis
I suspect Dennis is far more right than wrong. With these shorter rods (For the record, the odds of you actually 'over-hand casting' is "slim and none") you still need a pretty hefty amount of 'line grains' to load/cast same. With the short Skagit heads you have a far wider choice of tips, length there of, choice of fly size, etc.

From personal experience, for switch's, go to the 'short head' Skagits. Same grain weight(s), but more of a rod match. Just relined my Anderson 12'3'' 8wt with a 22' foot 525 grain Short Skagit, with 12' of T-11 or 12' of T-17 it just 'rips!'

fae
Old 03-10-2012, 11:04 PM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice
Default Re: Switch rods..

If I wanted to swing weighted streamers on a skagit head with a switch rod what grain window should I be looking at? Would I be able to turn a big fly over with a 350 grain head?

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:01 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Carl,
The grain window will be dependent on the caster and the rod. For trout and summer Steelhead fishing that I do with my 11 foot 6 weight, 325 to 375 grains shorter Skagits should do the trick. I recently put a 375 grain head on my rig, and it makes throwing size 4 rubberlegs stonefly nymphs rather easy.

If I was going to dedicate a switch rod for Steelhead fishing, I would bump myself to a 7 weight rig. The grain weight range would be higher. I'd need the mass to throw some of those large Intruderish flies.

Dennis
Old 03-11-2012, 10:35 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

+1 to what MP just said and it looks like you're already leaning that way: "Looking to double hand fish it. Thinking a 7 weight. The steelhead here in Michigan usually range from 7-13 lbs."

fae
Old 03-11-2012, 11:37 AM

siskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nicesiskiyoublues is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
Carl,
The grain window will be dependent on the caster and the rod. For trout and summer Steelhead fishing that I do with my 11 foot 6 weight, 325 to 375 grains shorter Skagits should do the trick. I recently put a 375 grain head on my rig, and it makes throwing size 4 rubberlegs stonefly nymphs rather easy.

If I was going to dedicate a switch rod for Steelhead fishing, I would bump myself to a 7 weight rig. The grain weight range would be higher. I'd need the mass to throw some of those large Intruderish flies.

Dennis
Thanks Dennis that helps a lot. It's going to be a rod for fishing the Klamath, Trinity and some southern oregon rivers. I think I am going to look for something that can throw a 450gr skagit head because I have a thing for big ugly flies.

Steelheader's Anonymous.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:41 PM

Oregon coastal rivers Carl? Ask as I'm about 10 minutes from the Rogue (Tou Velle Park just north of Medford). Vis a vis the Chetco you'll find that a 7wt switch will be a great all around tool. Ditto the Windchuck.

The lower Rogue (Gold Beach) is one big river so there a 'longer stick' is recommended.
Old 07-19-2013, 10:46 AM

roguebum is on a distinguished road

I'm with Fred! For the Upper Rogue you really can't beat a nice switch rod. I use my 7wt to let loose on a 410 grain skagit throwing some big, ugly looking flies! Monster maribou's and such that as Norman Mclean said, could actually scare the fish to death.

Not as easy as with my spey rod, but pretty close!
Old 07-28-2013, 10:46 AM

thenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of lightthenewlushlife is a glorious beacon of light

Honestly, one of the best if not the best line to learn spey casting techniques on is the airflo scandi compact. You will also need a running line to attach it to given that the scandi is a shooting head. The running line should be anywhere between .25-.35 in diameter. There are built in loop to loop connections between a suitable running line and shooting head. Another good option would be the RIO AFS short belly spey line, this is a fully integrated line that requires no seperate purchase of a running line. I would argue that this line is less versitle than the scandi compact because it cant handle as much weight with larger flies and sink tips/ poly leaders.