The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Switch rods.. (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/248984-switch-rods.html)

johnnie555 03-07-2012 11:27 PM

Switch rods..

Looking to get into the switch rod world and I plan on using it to target steelhead, just wondering what everyone reccomends for line??? Dont even have the slightest clue where to begin.. any info would be greatly appreciated!

MoscaPescador 03-08-2012 09:49 PM

Re: Switch rods..

Are you going to single or double hand cast it?

kayo 03-08-2012 11:39 PM

how bid a steelhead are you fishing for? usally you use a 8-10 wt rod. as a single or double hand rod as the Mosca said. :starwars:

johnnie555 03-09-2012 12:19 AM

Looking to double hand fish it. Thinking a 7 weight. The steelhead here in Michigan usually range from 7-13 lbs.

MoscaPescador 03-09-2012 10:29 AM

Skagit (heavy sink tips, larger flies) or Scandi (Polyleaders, light and sparse flies) style?

Have you visited your local shop to see what it recommends for your local conditions?

johnnie555 03-09-2012 11:44 AM

Nope haven't yet, figure this weekends Midwest fly EXPO show will give me more info. Scandi, skagit its all new to me. Mostly fish, single eggs, egg sucking leaches, woolly buggers, nymphs, small stones and a few streamers. Rarely anything huge but still need some sort of sink tip as its mostly deep runs and pools that I fish.

MoscaPescador 03-09-2012 08:44 PM

First, defer to the local experts on how they fish the waters that you intend to fish.

I have a feeling that they would err towards a shorter Skagit style shooting head with varying lengths of T8, T10, or T14 sinking tips. Those should get your flies to depth.

Dennis

johnnie555 03-09-2012 09:36 PM

Thanks for the info, thought about going that route with maybe some Rio versi leader's? Anyone use them before?

MoscaPescador 03-09-2012 11:46 PM

Versileaders are recommended for throwing sparsely tied Steelhead flies with a Scandi head. If you are going to have any kind of bulk in a fly like deer hair, zonker strips, lead wrapped bodies, marabou, etc, you may want to err towards a Skagit/tungsten tip combination. Versileaders do not have the mass to help throw a bulkier fly, whereas, tungsten tips do.

Again, I will defer to the local experts on how they fish the waters that you intend to fish. If they say go with the Scandi/Versileader setup, go with it. If they recommend the Skagit/tungsten tip combination, go for that.

One of the beauties of the shooting head type rigs is that you can change out heads. One run might be more conducive for Scandi style. The next run might be more conducive for Skagit. I have had trips on my local river in which I changed heads more than once to adapt to the river conditions.

Dennis

johnnie555 03-10-2012 07:41 AM

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.