The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2012, 01:11 AM

hillbilly_j44 is on a distinguished road
Default length of sinking tip on sink tip lines

Hey all,
This is my 1st post. Haven't been a member very long.
I've been ff small creeks for 7 yrs. Started hitting tailwaters w/in this past yr. I'm upsizing my gear for bigger trout, & dabbling w/ smallies in upper east tennessee.
Recently got a ross rx 6wt w/ sa gpx textured floating line for the top.
I would like a sink tip line for my second spool. I've asked guides up here, looked around online for reccomendagions, & I keep getting different answers.
I will primarily be wading, & primarily fishing for trout, & occasionally fishing 4 smallies.

Rio has dc 15' & 24' sink tip lines.
SA has short lengths, all the way up to 50' sinking tip lines.
The deepest I have fished, from a float boat, was maybe 20'... & that was pretty inaccesable wading.
I'm leaning towards a fast sink rate V or VI, or 200gr line for my 6wt.
I would like some opinions & reasoning as to what would work best.

...also, I will be getting an 8wt by next winter & am goin to get a long tipped sink tip for that set up... but what would work best w/ the 6wt for now??
Thanks to all the replies in advance!
Old 03-15-2012, 01:26 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: length of sinking tip on sink tip lines

Think about this.
Moderate current - 15' sink tip
Faster current - 24' sink tip.

SA's 50' sink tip is more or less a specialty line designed for stripping streamers. Read articles written by Kelly Galloup and Landon Meyer about streamer fishing to get the gist out of this line.

Dennis
Old 03-15-2012, 12:53 PM

hillbilly_j44 is on a distinguished road

I guess the main thing is, Will 24'(or 27'; 30'...) be too much in a moderate flow? Or will that just keep me deeper, longer compared to the 15'
I've never fished any type of sinking line.
Old 03-15-2012, 07:26 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbilly_j44 View Post
I guess the main thing is, Will 24'(or 27'; 30'...) be too much in a moderate flow? Or will that just keep me deeper, longer compared to the 15'
I've never fished any type of sinking line.
You will get more depth with the longer sink tips and integrated shooting heads.
Old 03-15-2012, 08:42 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi J44,

Welcome to the forum, I posted a leader build in our Spey section that serves well for sinking flies in all sort of waters. This will show the thread, http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/fo...spey-line.html

If you scroll to the bottom you find the leader explained. For deeper water you just lengthen the butt section. I use these with floating lines although I have a variety of sink tips I like this for ease of casting and believe it works better.

I hope you'll stay with us here and post some pictures of your area and a few stories or trip reports about the fishing there. If you have any questions about the leader i have suggested feel free to contact via our PM system.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;