The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By BigCliff

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-20-2012, 06:12 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Cabelas Airflo Supple EX fly line: WOW!

Didn't feel like doing a full review so I figured I would post this here. You bargain hunters should definately take a look!!

I'm not one to usually plug cabelas stores, allthough not opposed to them, they simply don't need it, but I figured I would pass this along to the forum.
I ordered a made for cabelas Airflo Supple EX Fly Line WF 5wt a couple of weeks ago and I must say I think I have a new favorite line!! As most here know by now I am a prefered fast action rod guy so I suppose this would only stand true with (plug in the name) fast action rods. Haven't tried it with any softer actions yet.
Having never tried airflo lines I figured this would be a good place to start. The first thing I noticed was what a slim profile the line had. Allthough not measured I must say this seemed to be one of the thinest lines I have ever owned, and with a real slick finish to boot. The line turned over superbly at every distance, and had enough beef in the belly to lay out 90' to the backing with ease (even into the wind). Loop control was a breeze. One second I was casting sickest tightest loops possible and then with a slight adjustment the loops opened up like magic. WHAT CONTROL!! I have never used a line this versital at all distances. Having now tried this line I can't wait to get my hands on some other Airflo lines. If they last the way I think they will this will be my new favorite line. By the way, they are on sale right now. At $29 to $39 you guys should take a look. Absolutley cant beat this line at that price!!
Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cabelas Airflo Supple EX fly line: WOW!

Wait until you try one of their Ridge lines.
caseywise likes this.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:43 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

If you go to Rajeff Sports and select Airflo, go to Ridge and check out "Rangefinder", a super dupper line with long front taper, longer yet head and even longer rear taper...adding these three taper sections yields a 65' color coded loop formation section. Along with SA Expert Distance Taper, RIO Gold and the yet to be tried by me SA Mastery Textured Trout Stalker, these are the four lines I will be using to evaluate trout rod/line match-ups this season. The low-stretch core of the Airflo along with its polymer coating gives it a different feel than the American lines.
Old 03-21-2012, 12:01 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCliff View Post
Wait until you try one of their Ridge lines.
yeah, their ridge lines are great!

ARFE
Old 03-21-2012, 03:50 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

I'm really glad to hear your nice review. I just received my 4 wt EX flyline on sale for 29.99 vs normal 59.99 (and it comes with a fast and slow sink poly leader )....this line will shortly be attached to my recently purchased 1.5 Ross Evolution LT....where it will shortly be attached to my Redington CT 8 1/2 foot 4 weight flyrod....where it will ultimately (and hopefully shortly) be attached to a wild wary brown trout that was guiled* into some surface feeding at the wrong place and wrong time....LOL

Guiled: Treacherous cunning, skillful deceit (I prefer the latter description - after all I do release them).
Old 03-21-2012, 06:27 PM

txshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura abouttxshane has a spectacular aura about

I've not tried the newest Airflo lines yet, because the Airflo lines I bought 6-8 years ago are still going strong. I've never owned any other line that didn't start cracking and splitting in less than 2 years (usually less than 1). They're great lines.

Wow, I just looked at this line on Cabela's website. The sale price also includes two Airflo Poly Leaders - one slow sink, and one fast sink. I've used these leaders as well, and I like them too. I'm may have to buy one of these lines whether I need it or not.
Old 03-22-2012, 06:25 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

Question for PegBoy about the line ? Did your line have welded loops at both ends ? front end ? I'm looking at my line now and the box says "ultra slim welded loops at both ends for easy connections".....I'm looking at my "reel end" and there is no loop which is fine with me - but did your line have a front end loop ? I do want that Thanks.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
yeah, their ridge lines are great!
I like them alot better than their round lines. To me, dry round airflo lines are really grabby on guides but are fine when wet. The ridge lines don't have that grabby effect (likely because there's less surface area contacting the guide) and the grooves seem to hold some water aiding slickness.

(I'm basing this on a round airflo line I bought about 5 years ago and fished for a year or so.)

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 03-23-2012, 07:40 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

I'm really glad to hear everyone's thoughts on this. When I bought my new rod for Christmas, I purchased Airflow 8wt WF line on a steal at Cabelas. They had it mismarked at 14.99 from 59.99. I really like the line, but have little to compare it too. The bonus leaders were nice too.
As an added bonus, the peach color makes me feel like I have some sort of extra stream cred for having an odd color.