The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-07-2012, 07:02 PM

pegboy1 has a spectacular aura aboutpegboy1 has a spectacular aura about
Default Fly Line Twist

Was wondering if anyone had any good, easy fixes for fly liny twist? I've got a couple of lines that need fixing.
Old 04-07-2012, 07:58 PM

jimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura aboutjimw has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Fly Line Twist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pegboy1 View Post
Was wondering if anyone had any good, easy fixes for fly liny twist? I've got a couple of lines that need fixing.
I have never had a problem with line twist. Is your fly spinning? I would think the best way to fix it would be to pull it all the way out and untwist it
Old 04-07-2012, 08:06 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Pull all the line off the reel while in a river and let it go downstream. It will untwist itself. Then wind back onto the reel.

You may be using an elliptical cast that twists the line with each cast.
fredaevans likes this.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-07-2012, 08:16 PM

smudger564 is on a distinguished road

Hi Pegboy, Pull all the line off the reel and take it for a walk for around 200 meters through some long grass.

Once you've done that, wind on and crack on fishing.

You may be rotating your wrist during casting. It also happens if you roll cast a lot too.

There's less torsional resistance in the thin running line than there is in the head. Consequently the running line is prone to twisting.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Stuart
Old 04-07-2012, 08:29 PM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

I'm told that not shooting all the line you've retrieved will twist the line too, meaning you need to shorten your casts until you are able to shoot the whole thing.

Last edited by wannafish; 04-07-2012 at 08:32 PM. Reason: added something
Old 04-07-2012, 08:39 PM

mbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to beholdmbphotos54 is a splendid one to behold

iv had this issue more from fish rolling around, but it isnt hard to get out. I had a dragonfly that would sit on the surface and spin.. the leader would get all sorts of twisted. I try to lay my line out and clean it it also pulls the twists out.
Old 04-07-2012, 08:48 PM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

Eliminating the slack line that hangs off your reel will go far in eliminating twist. Try keeping only the length of line you will cast out of the spool. Minimize your false casting too will help a great deal.
If you don't have moving water to tow the line and untwist it as in a river or on a moving boat you can cast 20-30' feet of line out then spin the entire rod clockwise towards you (if you're a right handed caster) holding the blank around the stripping guide and the butt with the other hand. False cast that line a few times to work the untwist line out past the rod tip then strip off more line, rinse and repeat.
To tell if the twist is removed, hang a random loop of line towards the ground and see if it spins on itself. Any remaining twist will become apparent.
An awkward, time consuming way to eliminate twist is to take the reel off of the rod with a good length of line cast out and spin the reel counter to the twist.
Old 04-08-2012, 01:46 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I wouldn't not recommend using a grass lawn to untwist line. Grass causes micro cuts in the fly line.

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 04-08-2012, 02:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post
Pull all the line off the reel while in a river and let it go downstream. It will untwist itself. Then wind back onto the reel.

You may be using an elliptical cast that twists the line with each cast.
+1.

If the fly doesn't 'run true,' much like a 'plug,' you can get line twist. Where you'll really (or can) is with full on floater spey lines. As with straight mono, just cut off the fly (and toss it ... IN YOUR pocket) and pull off half (what ever length your typically casting) the line and let it run in the current. Give it 60 seconds (give or take) and reel in.

Part that's a bit odd is (one exception) I've never gotten line twist with a Scandi or a Skagit head.

Go figure?
Old 04-08-2012, 03:28 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Just one more testament to my charmed life, I have never noticed this phenomena with a fly line.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;