The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2012, 02:56 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold
Default Line choice for a 6 wt TFO BVK

I just got a new BVK 6 wt.

Main use will be nymphing tailwaters when the wind kicks up, and tossing larger streamers for both bass and trout.

This morning I tried the Sage nymphing line I have for my legend ultra and wasn't really impressed so I'm thinking of getting a new line.

I don't have the money of resources to try bunches of lines so I have to rely on some advice from you folks.

Do you have or have you cast a BVK in a 6wt-8wt? (it's my understanding that the 5 wt, 4wt, and 3wt are different)

What line?

Do you like the line you have?

If not what are you looking at?

Do you generally prefer slower or fast action rods?
Old 04-15-2012, 04:07 PM

flymark is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Line choice for a 6 wt TFO BVK

I don't own a BVK - but I tried a couple out when I was hunting for a new 6 weight last year. Seemed like a pretty stiff/fast rod. It worked well with a Sci Anglers GPX taper line - and it worked pretty well with an Airflo Ridge line - the GPX loaded it a bit better. I'd say the BVK is one of the rods that benefits from the size-and-a-half type tapers (like the GPX)

Any chance you can swing by a fly shop and try a few different lines out?
Old 04-15-2012, 06:34 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by flymark View Post
I don't own a BVK - but I tried a couple out when I was hunting for a new 6 weight last year. Seemed like a pretty stiff/fast rod. It worked well with a Sci Anglers GPX taper line - and it worked pretty well with an Airflo Ridge line - the GPX loaded it a bit better. I'd say the BVK is one of the rods that benefits from the size-and-a-half type tapers (like the GPX)

Any chance you can swing by a fly shop and try a few different lines out?

Not sure anyone will let me.

I figured the Sage line is a 1.5 weight line since it was designed by RIO for some of Sage's faster rods. I don't know for sure though.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:09 AM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I would think that a long belly nymph line would be ideal for all the mending involved in nymphing, but its not really going to capitalize on that rod's main strength: the ability to shoot line like a damn rocket.

I'd try the SA Mastery Textured Magnum. Its very front heavy, and should make that rod really shine and will turn over streamers and bass bugs well.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-16-2012, 11:50 PM

Thanks Cliff. I was considering a RIO Outbound but I will look into that line as well, especially since I'm really starting to favor SA lines.