3wt Fly Line

shimloom

Reaction score
I have 7' 6" G.Loomis Trilogy rod and I am looking for a 3wt line that does a great job. I have been looking at SA mastery line and GPX. Any advice would be great!

Ard

Forum Member
Staff member
Reaction score
I own about a dozen SA Mastery lines and they do anything that I would ever need from a fly line.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

comeonavs

Reaction score
I love the SA Mastery textured trout series so much I bought 2 spare spools of it this weekend . The SA rep had a $20 trade in deal on old line so I took some old junk and bought a spare spool of 3 and 4wt.

The only rod I have that doesnt have that line on it is my

6WT = Mastery textured GPX not trout
1WT= they dont make it or it would be on their too

For small stream , general trout fishing, throwing dries and little nymphs (Size 16 and smaller) I dont think it can be beat

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

I have 7' 6" G.Loomis Trilogy rod and I am looking for a 3wt line that does a great job. I have been looking at SA mastery line and GPX. Any advice would be great!
Dont forget the GPX is essentially 1/2 a line weight heavy and intended to load fast actionrods better in close. Think Z-Axis, Orvis Hydros tipflex etc etc

i personally wouldnt put a heavy line on a rod intended for delicate presentations.

shimloom

Reaction score
Great advice, thanks. Helps knowing you guys have been there done that and I don't have to spend money on the wrong stuff!

comeonavs

Reaction score
Great advice, thanks. Helps knowing you guys have been there done that and I don't have to spend money on the wrong stuff!
these forums are great and all they folks here are very helpful. They saved me $30 on a bug net the other day by suggesting a paint strainer over my fishing net :D

There are so many choices out there and you can really burn through the $$ if you dont have anyone to bounce ideas off of.

shimloom

Reaction score
Exactly. I spent 20 years in the tackle business, but not fly fishing. I have fly fished for 35 years, as one of the styles I do. When you do it as often as a lot of the guys & gals here, it's best to ask the questions. Experience beats theory all day!

stl_geoff

Reaction score
the GPX is a good casting line, I have it on 5wts. I dont see why you wouldnt want it for a 3wt. I have the Rio Trout Gold or something like that on my 3wt and I like it. Its good line, I'd rather have a nicer line on it so I can get alittle more distance out of the rod but I think its only a 7' its not going to throw line very far anyway.

comeonavs

Reaction score
the GPX is a good casting line, I have it on 5wts. I dont see why you wouldnt want it for a 3wt. I have the Rio Trout Gold or something like that on my 3wt and I like it. Its good line, I'd rather have a nicer line on it so I can get alittle more distance out of the rod but I think its only a 7' its not going to throw line very far anyway.
I have had RIO Gold and it is a fine line, I actually run GPX on my 4wt and 6wts that are used more for bigger water, bigger flies etc etc. Also on those rods I tend to run longer leaders such as a 9' leader with 3 or 4' of tippet to get to 11-12'.

When it comes to my 1WT, 3WT, and my TXL4wt those get used on smaller /clearer water where 25' is a longish cast. Stealth is really the name of the game and I felt the trade off of loading a rod better with heavier line vs the splashdown possibility of the heavier line wasnt a good trade off.

shimloom

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the good advice. It's great to get so many reply's. I look forward to having other questions answered as well as I get back to the fly game.

jaybo41

Reaction score
Ok so I'm a little late to the game here but I'll add my 2 cents. I am using a mixture of lines, Rio, SA and now Airflo lines on various rods. I have generally been pleased with all of them. When you get into the higher dollar lines, the quality is reasonably similar. What's VERY important IMHO is to get a line with a taper that is suitable for your rod. I own a WT 3wt and Winston recommends a DT paired with it. I have found the DT line I bought to cast very well on it. Other rods, like my Z Axis like a heavier weighted line-GPX Textured or Rio Grand for example. That said, we all have preferences and some may like to overline or even go with a "true" weight line on a given rod.

If you haven't already got a line, let us know what rod you are intending to purchase and we might be able to offer a better suggestion on a specific line.