The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2012, 03:29 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default 3wt Fly Line

I have 7' 6" G.Loomis Trilogy rod and I am looking for a 3wt line that does a great job. I have been looking at SA mastery line and GPX. Any advice would be great!
Old 04-16-2012, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: 3wt Fly Line

I own about a dozen SA Mastery lines and they do anything that I would ever need from a fly line.

Welcome to the forum,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-16-2012, 04:20 PM

oarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to alloarfish is a name known to all

You would do well with the SA Mastery lines!

Rick
Old 04-16-2012, 05:05 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

I love the SA Mastery textured trout series so much I bought 2 spare spools of it this weekend . The SA rep had a $20 trade in deal on old line so I took some old junk and bought a spare spool of 3 and 4wt.

The only rod I have that doesnt have that line on it is my

6WT = Mastery textured GPX not trout
1WT= they dont make it or it would be on their too

For small stream , general trout fishing, throwing dries and little nymphs (Size 16 and smaller) I dont think it can be beat

---------- Post added at 04:05 PM ---------- Previous post was at 03:56 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
I have 7' 6" G.Loomis Trilogy rod and I am looking for a 3wt line that does a great job. I have been looking at SA mastery line and GPX. Any advice would be great!
Dont forget the GPX is essentially 1/2 a line weight heavy and intended to load fast actionrods better in close. Think Z-Axis, Orvis Hydros tipflex etc etc

i personally wouldnt put a heavy line on a rod intended for delicate presentations.
Old 04-16-2012, 06:31 PM

Great advice, thanks. Helps knowing you guys have been there done that and I don't have to spend money on the wrong stuff!
Old 04-16-2012, 06:47 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by shimloom View Post
Great advice, thanks. Helps knowing you guys have been there done that and I don't have to spend money on the wrong stuff!
these forums are great and all they folks here are very helpful. They saved me $30 on a bug net the other day by suggesting a paint strainer over my fishing net

There are so many choices out there and you can really burn through the $$ if you dont have anyone to bounce ideas off of.
Old 04-17-2012, 06:06 PM

Exactly. I spent 20 years in the tackle business, but not fly fishing. I have fly fished for 35 years, as one of the styles I do. When you do it as often as a lot of the guys & gals here, it's best to ask the questions. Experience beats theory all day!
Old 04-17-2012, 09:27 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

the GPX is a good casting line, I have it on 5wts. I dont see why you wouldnt want it for a 3wt. I have the Rio Trout Gold or something like that on my 3wt and I like it. Its good line, I'd rather have a nicer line on it so I can get alittle more distance out of the rod but I think its only a 7' its not going to throw line very far anyway.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-18-2012, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stl_geoff View Post
the GPX is a good casting line, I have it on 5wts. I dont see why you wouldnt want it for a 3wt. I have the Rio Trout Gold or something like that on my 3wt and I like it. Its good line, I'd rather have a nicer line on it so I can get alittle more distance out of the rod but I think its only a 7' its not going to throw line very far anyway.
I have had RIO Gold and it is a fine line, I actually run GPX on my 4wt and 6wts that are used more for bigger water, bigger flies etc etc. Also on those rods I tend to run longer leaders such as a 9' leader with 3 or 4' of tippet to get to 11-12'.

When it comes to my 1WT, 3WT, and my TXL4wt those get used on smaller /clearer water where 25' is a longish cast. Stealth is really the name of the game and I felt the trade off of loading a rod better with heavier line vs the splashdown possibility of the heavier line wasnt a good trade off.
Old 04-19-2012, 12:44 PM

Thanks everyone for the good advice. It's great to get so many reply's. I look forward to having other questions answered as well as I get back to the fly game.