The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-18-2012, 10:17 AM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default When it's time to change your line?

When is it time to change your fly line? I have a cheap line clearwater fly line that was only $30 last year and I been fishing heavy with it. How do you know what it's time to get new line?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:43 AM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough
Default Re: When it's time to change your line?

I have a fly line that I use that is 20 years old and cracked in multiple places around the leading edge. It was a floating line, but has become a slow sinking line. LOL
If I were you, I would replace it before it gets to that point.
If you use line conditioner, you should be able to use it for a long time (probably not 20 yrs, but still pretty long).
I'm sure someone has a better answer than me, but your post reminded me that I need to replace that line.
Old 04-18-2012, 12:07 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Angelo,

I see many threads like yours where the poster is thinking they need a new line. Unless there was a manufacture ring flaw in a one year old fly line I can't imagine it being in need of replacement so soon. Just as iaflyguy has said before me here; when the line is showing multiple tiny cracks all over the length and no longer will float, it may be time for new.

I do as iaflyguy and use my old lines for streamer fishing. The belly sections usually remain in decent shape and float while it is the front 10 or so feet that no longer want to float high. This combination makes for a good wet fly line so even when a line is no longer suitable as the prime dry fly line, it is still good for something.

With your line you can rely on the old adage; If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-18-2012, 12:55 PM

iaflyguy will become famous soon enoughiaflyguy will become famous soon enough

You know, talking about old fly lines has me thinking. Is there any good fly patterns out there (other than a dragon fly) that uses an old fly line? That would be one good way to use worn out fly line instead of just throwing it away.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:55 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

You need to change it right away and spend at least $69.99 in order to get a superior line. Only RIO or Sci Angler will do.....the other brands aren't worthy of our attention. Only then will you be successful in your fishing endeavors...

...Just kidding Inspect your line for any cracks or chipping in the coating the next time you clean it. If you don't see any then generally the line should be fine. If you are having difficulty keeping the tip from staying afloat, treating it with a silicone paste will help.
grassonfly likes this.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:59 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

I have some lines that are really old- decades- because they see very little use. Others are getting replaced in two or three years because they start to sink- the result of being stepped on, kneeled on, ground into the sand and gravel- or in one case because I rolled a rock while scrambling after a fish and it cut the line in half. All that said, I think the line technology changes so rapidly that sometimes it's just time to try a new one.

Last edited by nickj; 04-18-2012 at 05:00 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 04-18-2012, 05:04 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

It all depends on several factors such as actual use, how many years old, your primary style of casting, manufacturer and likely more. Lines showing obvious wear, or cracks, or tip sinking, etc needs to have some upkeep if not replacement. I've wore out a few lines especially salt water fishing where continued long casts where the norm and due to the weight of the line being cast, and the sweet spot for letting that cast fly, a small section wore out right in that area from too much friction fromt he top guide dueing the cast. Other things that cause a lot of wear would be use in sand, grit, etc or lots of lawn/yard casting.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/
Old 04-18-2012, 06:20 PM

pa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the roughpa dave is a jewel in the rough

If you keep them clean and treated, don't cook them in the car, or walk on them, even inexpensive lines can last for years. I have two over 10 years old, both cheap lines to begin with.

And keep the DEET away from them. Religiously.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:04 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by angelo1987 View Post
When is it time to change your fly line? I have a cheap line clearwater fly line that was only $30 last year and I been fishing heavy with it. How do you know what it's time to get new line?
I would be willing to bet it is just fine. Have you ever cleaned it?
Old 04-18-2012, 10:53 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

I clean my line every 2 or 3 outing's all cause of the fact I fish in dirty water. At this time of year my lake's/pond's have alot of muck (Green stuff) lol. I mainly Roll cast just cause I don't have alot of opening's depending on where I fish. I just bought off the subject cause my line just sometime's is getting stuck like um....it's coiling in my reel and once or twice it just don't seem I'am gettin the distance as I usually do. My I clean my line I check for crack's etc....It's perfect in that matter.