The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2012, 01:01 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default Backing to fly line question?

I wanted to know what is the best product to use after you connect the backing to the fly line. I would use a rubber cement type of stuff to make a football so the line/backing went thru the guides smoothly. I would guess there's a better way by now?
Old 04-19-2012, 01:19 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Re: Backing to fly line question?

I use Pliobond. Flexible when dry but stinks a bit when using.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:41 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

I use Zap a Gap OR Loctite super glue. Just massage the adhesive bead into a smooth oval shape and let it dry. Has worked like a charm for the last 5 years I have been doing this (no hang ups in the guides or breakage)
Old 04-19-2012, 02:52 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

+1 for Zap-A-Gap. Assuming your are using a nail or Albright knot that is well tied (depending on the fly line core material), coat it with a droplet of the gap filling super adhesive and whick off any excess. Allow thorough curing time, about a 1/2 hour and you are unbreakable. You might also have a gander at the earlier "Welded" Loops thread in this fly line forum.
Old 04-19-2012, 02:55 PM

Red Owl has a spectacular aura aboutRed Owl has a spectacular aura about

Another vote for PlioBond.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:05 PM
Super Moderator

BigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant futureBigCliff has a brilliant future

I've read that Pliobond is just rebranded rubber cement.

I use Loon's UV Knot Sense, applied sparingly so it smooths rather than creates a bead.

I'd rather hunt fish than bait deer any day.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:55 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Pliobond/rubber cement may smooth a knot and prevent slippage of not fully seated coils but adds no strength to a connection. I am not certain about UV curing adhesives which seem strength addative but I do know that gap filling, slow curing super glue like Zap-A-Gap is truley strong. We never want to INCREASE mass at knots by creating a "bead", rather we want to seal knots to prevent slippage or stripping coating off line core. Overlapping a bit onto the line coating may enhace adhession and onto the line tip/tail ,sealing the core from water wicking. Of course, a properly tied, multi turn (12 - 15) nail or Albright knot has good profile and can stand on its own...but a light treatment of strong sealent can't hurt.
Old 04-19-2012, 11:35 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Thanks guys for the advice. I will do some checking into the above products mentioned.
Old 06-16-2012, 12:57 PM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

First order of business is tying a good knot. No amount of glue or adhesive will fix a bad knot.

Learned that on my first king salmon last fall.....
Old 06-16-2012, 03:24 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

I use Pliobond to smooth the connection of backing to fly line. Why smooth the connection?

The reason is that the backing knot will be pulled over the guides by the running fish. So it has the potential to damage the guides as it is pulled over the guides under tension. Should the knot catch on the guide, you can bend or rip the guide off of the blank.

As to using a material that strengthens the knot, this has little relevance in my view. The knot itself should hold. After all, it is the weakest link that will fail and if the backing knot fails before the tippet to fly knot ...... the fellow who tied the backing knot has really got problems that super glue won't solve.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy