The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2010, 12:19 PM

bearfighter is on a distinguished road
Default Best Leader Building Line

So I want to start building my own leaders. I'm getting sick of paying $3-$5 for a tapered leader, and I think I'll get some sort of satisfaction out of catching a fish on a leader that I tied.

Up to now all I do is buy leader based on the length (9ft, 12ft, etc.) and diameter of the end (4x, 5x, 6x, etc.). And I know there is a lot more I need to know for building my own leaders. I've done some basic research, and read through a few leader charts, so I have a basic idea of what I will need to buy.

I have two questions....

1.) I was at a fly shop looking at the fishing line, and I noticed that the diameter of the line doesn't correlate to the pound test weight of the line for all brands (brand A .015 diameter is 10lbs test, and brand B .015 is 8lbs test). So when building my leader materials do I focus strictly on the diameter?

2.) What are the top brands for line used to build leaders, from the butt all the way down to the tippet?
Old 07-13-2010, 02:39 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Best Leader Building Line

Bearfighter: Check out this discussion, it provides quite a bit of information on building leaders: Tying leaders

Larry
Old 07-13-2010, 04:31 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

The diameters are far more important than the #test for a leader that turns over well. Stepping down 2 onehundredths of an inch at a time will produce a far better leader than going from #test to #test.
Right now I'm using three different 'kits'.
Maxima, which is a hard mono. Orvis SuperStrong, a soft mono, and Climax that I use in the salt.
While I'm not normally a big Orvis fan, I highly recommend the SuperStrong. However I have no problem mixing hard and soft mono and while I always use soft mono for a tippet, I often use the hard mono in the butt and the soft mono in the mid section and the tippet,
Old 07-15-2010, 12:13 AM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rip Tide View Post
The diameters are far more important than the #test for a leader that turns over well. Stepping down 2 onehundredths of an inch at a time will produce a far better leader than going from #test to #test.
Right now I'm using three different 'kits'.
Maxima, which is a hard mono. Orvis SuperStrong, a soft mono, and Climax that I use in the salt.
While I'm not normally a big Orvis fan, I highly recommend the SuperStrong. However I have no problem mixing hard and soft mono and while I always use soft mono for a tippet, I often use the hard mono in the butt and the soft mono in the mid section and the tippet,
Like RipTide said. I'd also strongly recommend that you look into buying a Frog Hair leader tying kit. Not only does it include many leader/tippet sizes, it also includes a great blood knot tying tool which will save you all kinds of time and agony. Having already endorsed Frogs Hair, I believe that Climax makes the best leader material for constructing the leader butt. However, I'd also consider purchasing some Amnesia in the appropriate dimensions for the leader butt (.20+), since that will also do double duty as an indicator.
Old 07-15-2010, 02:02 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Second the FROG HAIR kit. The knot too is easy as heck to you and the material is super.
I have it and if I am not using a furled leader I will make leaders up with it.
I have some killer taper recipes.
Old 07-15-2010, 03:09 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

The Flygoddess has spoken.
Joni, so you prefer the Frog over the Amnesia? If so why.
What are you using for tippets with your furled leaders.
Please share your knotted leader recipes.
I used one of your leaders today had a nice Red hooked up but lost him on a Oyster bar. He cut my tippet and lost a new Black Clouser.
Old 07-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by seajay View Post
The Flygoddess has spoken.
Joni, so you prefer the Frog over the Amnesia? If so why.
What are you using for tippets with your furled leaders.
Please share your knotted leader recipes.
I used one of your leaders today had a nice Red hooked up but lost him on a Oyster bar. He cut my tippet and lost a new Black Clouser.
BUMMER! I hate that. Heart pounding, grinning from ear to ear then ........ahhhhhh $%#@

I am not a fan of Amnesia....just me I am sure.
As far as tippet material, Plain old P-Line fluoro in 4, 6, 8 and 10 (for Carp).

On rivers I will also use Vanish 100% fluoro in a 2lb as they are one of the few companies that offer it. They are bigger diameter than tippet, but I use a loop on the fly so it can still wiggle with larger tippet...what can I say, it works for me.

As far as recipes, there are tons on line now. I kind of like these:

Fly Fishing Leaders and Formulas

But there are allot out there.
Old 07-16-2010, 12:02 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
. . . I am not a fan of Amnesia....just me I am sure. . .
Joni, does your dislike of Amnesia include its use as a short piece of leader butt nail-knotted to the fly line as an indicator, or were you referring to its use farther down the leader - or both? Since I am thinking about buying some for its use as a leader butt indicator, I'm curious what it is about it that you don't like?
Old 07-16-2010, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly2Fish View Post
Joni, does your dislike of Amnesia include its use as a short piece of leader butt nail-knotted to the fly line as an indicator, or were you referring to its use farther down the leader - or both? Since I am thinking about buying some for its use as a leader butt indicator, I'm curious what it is about it that you don't like?
Both. I have bought two rolls. It is stiff for one and it does hold a curve...plus as a butt section, it sank in my case.
But, I am one in a million, everyone else loves the stuff.