The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2012, 09:19 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of
Default Removing some GNARLY line memory

So I know how to keep my lines from getting too much memory ( fish them a bunch or wrap them around something large ). I bought some line today for an 11wt that I decided to purchase for some reason. Anyway, its some Rio Tarpon line and I bet it had been on the clearance shelf at the fly shop for YEARS...It has some GNARLY memory on it. What is the best way for removing very very heavy curls and memory. Its effecting the way the rod casts and the line doesnt land softly at all. One good thing though is the box was marked $58 and I only paid 5 for it.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-26-2012, 09:38 PM

famill00 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Removing some GNARLY line memory

I have heard that if you wrap the line around a round post or something and pull on each end the memory will subside, but I have never tried it.

-Forrest
Old 04-26-2012, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I have always done the same thing with fly line that I do with my leaders. While keeping a tight grip on the line I pull it through my gripping hand with the free hand. The friction heat that results will straiten the worst cork screw in a line. If this does not work for you then it is just one more proof positive of my charmed existence
ak allen likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-26-2012, 10:36 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Put it on a large arbor wide reel.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:56 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

i used to stretch lines between telephone poles.

ARFE
Old 04-27-2012, 05:01 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Can your run some hot water over the line to warm it up and then stretch it out ? Maybe pull all the line out and spread it out in your yard on a hot day and let it set, then pull on the coils to see if it helps, let set some more in the heat after that.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:34 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I have always done the same thing with fly line that I do with my leaders. While keeping a tight grip on the line I pull it through my gripping hand with the free hand. The friction heat that results will straiten the worst cork screw in a line. If this does not work for you then it is just one more proof positive of my charmed existence
I'll try it, this stuff feels like rope at 11wt haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojo View Post
Put it on a large arbor wide reel.
Its on a konic 4.0... that SHOULD be large enough haha ( this thing is HUGE )

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
Can your run some hot water over the line to warm it up and then stretch it out ? Maybe pull all the line out and spread it out in your yard on a hot day and let it set, then pull on the coils to see if it helps, let set some more in the heat after that.
That was another one of my ideas, i will give that a shot if the others dont work out enough of the coils.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 AM

randyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to allrandyflycaster is a name known to all

I would wrap it around a big garbage barrel and leave it there for a couple of days.

Randy
Old 04-27-2012, 12:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You know we're all waiting to hear what you did and if it worked! I'm sticking with the heat thing, whether you create it with hand friction or a warm water soak followed by the hand tension stretch, I'm betting on heat. If that does not work then I would simply get a new line.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2012, 02:03 PM

I will try the heat thing this week with stretching it as well. Apparently it wasnt sitting on the shelf for too long buuuut who knows with my fly shop guy haha. its supposed to be raining when I get home, so i'll start stretching it tonight

Storm Drain Bonefisher