The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2012, 05:17 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road
Default Fly line memory??

I use SA Aircel floating line WF-7-F, it seems the line has better memory than I have. After the cast the line starts creating it's own S curves back toward the rod tip.
A friend told me to tie it to something stationary and pull it tight and hold it there to stretch it and that should straighten it out.
Has anyone heard of this working? The line was cleaned and dressed before using and I keep it that way. I put the line on late last summer and it stayed straight then, it was clean and dry when I put it away this winter.
I can't afford to change it now because when I do it's going to be with much better line,,,or do they all do this?
Help
Old 05-16-2012, 05:44 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: Fly line memory??

The short answer to both questions is yes.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-16-2012, 05:50 PM

Liphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to beholdLiphookedau is a splendid one to behold

At some stage nearly all of us have had Lines which create Memory,there's only recently been a Thread how to remove it ???
I have one Line from a well known maker,even though it's a very good Line to cast,the memory effect is terrible,also not all line have the "Memory Effect".
It's bad news when you pay good Dollars for a Line which looks like a Stretched Spring.
Brian.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Rick,

Look through this thread; Removing some GNARLY line memory You don't have to tie the line to anything.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-16-2012, 10:52 PM

hillbilly rick is on a distinguished road

As usual, you guys rock. I'll try the hand stretch method tomorrow, if that doesn't work, into the sink with it.
Thank you much,
Rick
Old 05-17-2012, 08:08 AM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

I like to loop the line around my spare tire on my jeep that way I can hold both ends while stretching it and it does not get any kinks in it. I saw one guy use a fence post, and have seen others use thier fishing buddy to hold it while stretching. If you have one of those tippet straighteners on your vest or lanyard, you could use that too I suppose while doing the hand stretch so you dont' get finger burn like someone posted about recently.

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-17-2012, 03:59 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

All good, I like the spare tire idea, but DO NOT use the leader straightner (on your leader either). Your line has a braided nylon core with a plastic coating. The coating has no memory but the nylon has lots. The stretching and slow releasing of stretch is the way to go...perfectly normal.
Old 05-17-2012, 10:54 PM

webrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to beholdwebrx is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Sweetandsalt, I was not thinking about the variance in the materials but now that you mention it there is sense in that for the fly line, but why not on the leader? Are you worried about decreasing the strength of it?

d

1. the fact or state of having been affected by or gained knowledge through direct observation or participation

2. that thing you get just moments after you needed it.
Old 05-18-2012, 08:44 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Friction and heat is the enemy of plastic. Nylon monofilament is damaged by forcefully pulling it through some rubber or leather pinching pad. Surely, to straighten the CORE of the fly line, stretching slowly and releasing slowly is where it is at but rubbing the coating does only bad things. Stretch your nylon leader or, since it is porous, soak it in warm water for a little while and hang it with a small weight tied to the tippet overnight...this is the best if a little over the top method.
Old 05-18-2012, 09:01 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Everyone knows that the best way to stretch a line is to hook the other end onto a big fish !