The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-23-2012, 07:15 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough
Default leaders and Tippets

It's been awhile since I bought leaders and tippet material. I do dry fly fishing for the most part. I need to purchase new leaders and tippets. Looking for advice in this area. Rod weights from 3wt to 5wt. Thanks for any help.
Old 05-23-2012, 07:42 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: leaders and Tippets

If you have a 9 foot rod or longer, get a 9 foot leader.

If you have a shorter rod, get the 7.5 foot leader.

Get a mix of leaders ranging from 2x to 5x.

You don't need flurocarbon unless you are doing a lot of subsurface fishing. Also flurocarbon leaders and tippets can be quite expensive.

Get yourself tippet spools ranging from 3x to 6x.

Don't mix brands.

I am partial to Umpqua and Rio. Both have good knot strength and abrasion resistance for monofilament.

Dennis
Old 05-23-2012, 08:55 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with MP on this. I have been reading upon this longer leader however. These guys use 12' to 24' leaders with normal rods. I guess just be aware where that loop or knot is for fly line to leader.

I will add to this list, a couple furled leaders. 5'ers to which you can add 2' to 5' of that 3X to 6X tippet. The leaders should last at least a year and easy transition from dry to nymph.
Old 05-24-2012, 05:47 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Orvis has sales every now and then and that is a good time to stock up.
Old 05-24-2012, 08:54 AM

Liphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud ofLiphookedau has much to be proud of

Over The years I've used many brands,SA,Rio,Umpqua,Maxima,etc,etc,I am now using Frog Hair with & without Furled Leaders which I've found excellent,like others you still get an occasional wind knot.
Brian.
Old 05-24-2012, 06:58 PM

Thanks, I was thinking of using fluorocarbon on the tippets however I know that it sinks faster. If you use Gink to make float I would guess that would be OK?
Old 05-24-2012, 07:45 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

It is all I use. Even my #32's float. It doesn't sink that fast to me. I do like that it rides in the water though.
Old 05-24-2012, 09:06 PM

I would think so. In fast water I don't see the need as much, but in the still waters it has to be a plus. I use fluorocarbon with my streamers for stripers and LM and SM all the time as I fish a lot of clear water where you can see 15 to 20 feet no problem.
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 AM

goblue is on a distinguished road

I'm in the set-up stage, too, and wonder what the difference is between tippet material and regullar mono fishing lines. I can see that if you want numerous sizes of tippet, it would save money to buy the individual tippets in the shorter lengths. However, I'm only going to need a couple of sizes and wonder if I can use leftover spin-fishing lines to clip my tippets from?
Also, I have an old, old fly rod that all you needed years ago was flyline, a leader and a bait. Now there is backing, line, leader, tippet and bait. My rod is 8.5-foot long and calls for a 7-8 weight line. I will be attaching it to a 20-pd backing line. My quarry will be subdivision pond largemouth bass (size won't exceed 2-3 pound range). What might you guys suggest as good leader, tippet and hook sizes for this fishing venue? I'm old and somewhat handicapped now, so boating, wading and searching all over for fishing spots is all but impossible.

Any responses will be appreciated and thank you.

GB
Old 06-17-2012, 08:59 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

goblue....
You can use mono spinning line if you want. It's perfectly appropriate for bass fishing. The difference between spinning line and tippet is with the more expensive tippet you're going to get a high pound test with a thinner diameter. But bass don't care about that stuff

For bass fishing I use a leader of between 6 and 8 feet.
The 6 foot leader I use for big topwater "bug" fishing. Straight mono 12-16 lb test.
I use a tapered leader of 7.5 - 8' for everything else. 8-12# tippet

You will never utilize your backing if you'll only be fishing for bass. It's only there to fill up the reel. Any dacron line of any size will do.

With a size 6 hook, you can ride the fence with a fly small enough for pan fish and large enough for bass. Larger flies would be good for bass only.
Most of my bass bugs are around size 2, but I carry some to 3/0 that I cast with my 8wt.