05-28-2012, 07:36 PM
My Reasons like Many of the others:
1.The Rod will Load Quicker,some Lines are made 1/2 Wt heavier to load The Modern Rods Quicker.
2. Subsequently from #1 The Line will Shoot faster.
3. Some Rods will become Stiffer,which can make it a Faster Rod.
4. A Heavier Line can Cast Heavier Flies.
5. To Cast Heavier Flies on a Lighter Wt Rod,which I think isn't a good idea,go up in size (if you have another heavier Rod.).
6. Can punch Flies into wind better.
7. Some Rods are better Lined with a Heavier Wt Line,even though The Makers say what Wt Rod it is they don't say which Line is best suited,because with some Maker's who also make Lines,I have found Their Rods are better with other peoples Lines not what they reccomend just so they can sell Lines.
8. For relatively short confined casts which I call a "Snap Cast" in some tight Spots virtually just using The Rod Tip to cast The Fly.
Unlike Rip I mainly only Fish our Local Lakes & there is no need to mend.
* Of course with certain Rods all of these points are debateable.
Last edited by Liphookedau; 05-28-2012 at 08:03 PM.