Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By risenfly

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:17 PM

rookie0101 is on a distinguished road
Default New guy to the Sport... Help

Ok so im new to fly fishing cause the orginal plan was to go to school in MT but im staying home in MN until i graduate, but i was doing some lake fishing this past weekend with my buddies pole, i already have a 5wt and thats what he was using to catch some bass and smaller walleye, but i was wondering if someone could explain to me what to use as a setup? he said something about a shooting line? and a 20lb sinking leader i beleive? but any help would be thankful
Old 05-28-2012, 09:19 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all
Default Re: New guy to the Sport... Help

Rookie,
While I am not the best to answer your question there are plenty of stillwater experts that will be more than willing to help.
However, I just wanted to say welcome.
So.....

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 05-28-2012, 09:47 PM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

welcome to the forum, nice to see another from MN! What part ya from? Im in the SE corner. I cant help much with a set-up for the bigger wts but you get lots of advice from the fellers on here.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:52 PM

rookie0101 is on a distinguished road

I am in the Central part of MN a hour west of Mpls. but ya thats what i figured there will be people who know more on here then around town.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:27 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

You diffidently do not need a shooting line to fish for bass.
A shooting head and running line system is used for distance casting, and when fishing for bass you're looking more for "close in" accuracy rather than distance.
Your 5wt rod with a floating line will do, but personally I like a heavier rod myself. A rod and line that will cast larger flies and has the backbone to stop a larger bass headed for cover.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:49 AM

NEMNflythrower is on a distinguished road

Good to see another from Minnesota! Like others have said, there are a lot of incredibly knowledgeable folks on this forum who will be able to answer darn near every question you're going to have. Have you ever thought about an 8wt? Quite the versatile rod, as you could fish bass, pike, eyes, and steelhead all on one rod.
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 PM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

I've caught bass with a 5wt, but it's not always ideal. Anything from a 6-8wt will work just fine. A 6 will also be a nice streamer outfit for trout, but as said before an 8 will be serviceable to other species. Here's my advice to most novices.

Start with a 9' 5wt. Good all around rod.

If you fish small streams then get a 7-8ft 3/4 wt for tighter applications.

Then a 9' 8wt for bass, steelhead, and bigger game.

Those 3 rods will be able to do just about anything in almost all 50 states.
mi_trouter likes this.
Old 06-09-2012, 03:35 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Rod line weight is a bit fish dependent; here in Southern Oregon Bass (or any that I've met so far) just don't get all that large. Personally, most of the time I'm using a 3wt so a one pound fish is a WhaaaaHooo!

For fish up into the 5# range a 5 or 6 wt is just fine, but I would recommend a Weight Forward line as the flies you'll be using have some bulk/weight especially when wet (after the first cast ). 20 pound leader?

How about 10 or 12? Even that's a tad more than you need save for the size of the fly you're using. (Leader wise, you need something short and stiff due to 'hinging' at the knot) Watch these guys in their Bassin Boats using 20# mono .. and they all just drag the fish in and let it loose. Fish actually have a chance in hell?

Me thinks not, but just my .02 cents.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:28 PM

shimloom will become famous soon enough

Welcome to the forum and fly fishing. I live in So. Cal. where we have good size LM & Striper. I use a 7wt for LM & SM and WF line. On my 8wt. I use a 'Loomis Cross Current 9'9" rod and SA mastery streamer Express for larger flies. Stripers are not noise friendly so distance is a must. For your area and size fish a 6wt I think is great with a WF-F/S line and 12-15# leader depending on fly size. All this is based on fish size and depth so adjust as needed. Best of luck!