Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By risenfly
  • 1 Post By bakerboy2222

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2012, 08:51 PM

stoverscover is on a distinguished road
Default Organizing Leaders!?

Hey everyone I was wondering how you organize all the different leaders. For example I have a bunch of different leaders trout, bass, hovering, fast sinking slow sinking you get the picture. Once I use them though I have to either keep it in a leader wallet or label a bunch of small baggies. I'm hoping someone has a good suggestion for how they do it. .
Old 06-12-2012, 10:19 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Organizing Leaders!?

I have a leader wallet I carry with me and have a range of leaders in it. 95% of the time I use furled leader so that makes it very easy - the furled leader stays on and the tippet changes. For my 6 and 8 wt rods I have a 0 - 2x leader on it and just add tippet till I want to put a new one on so I rarely have to save a mono leader to use later.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:32 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

I use hand knotted leaders which after they're coiled I label with a piece of masking tape and keep in the sleeves of a leader wallet.
The leader wallet itself is kinda bulky and I'm not sure I really like it.
Before the leader wallet, I used an old cordura billfold wallet which fit much better in the vest pocket. I stored my leaders in little plastic bags or in regular paper envelopes. Having the little divisions in the billfold was handy too.
I may just go back to that.
Old 06-13-2012, 06:46 PM

comeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant futurecomeonavs has a brilliant future

Ok I am terrible first off, I am the king of wind knots, wind or not. Couple that with the fact I got a screaming deal on a bulk purchase of leaders last year...aka 14 doz leaders in 6x , some 4 and 5 x. I just carry a half dozen leaders in their original packaging in my vest. I dont take them off when I am fishing very often but when I do I wrap it up and put it in the package the new one comes out of.
Old 06-14-2012, 09:30 PM

stoverscover is on a distinguished road

I hear ya C and that's what I do now it's just so much **** to have to carry all the time. I want it to be neater I might just get a certain leader wallet for different types or something. I jut bought a set of airflo leaders I thinks it's 6 in all and they all sink or float or whatever the hell else they do and I don't wanna carry around 20 different little packets.
Old 06-15-2012, 09:49 AM
Business Member

CutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to allCutThroat Leaders is a name known to all

I use pretty much use only furled leaders. Because I only need to have a dry fly leader and a sinking / nymphing leader. I typically take one of the inserts out of the original plastic bag and insert it so the front faces out. (both package inserts are back - back). Then I keep one dry fly leader in the dry fly side, one nymph leader in the other. I typically have a dry fly leader on my rod so that means I know have two drys and one nymph leader in my vest. All in a tidy small-water-proof package. Because furled leaders are so easy to re-package and re-use, this system works great. I do recommend cutting off the tippet and disposing of it properly as the tippet tends to get tangled when you re-package.

Hope that helps.

Mike
Hand Woven Furled Leaders
Site: http://www.cutthroatfurledleaders.com/
email. mike@cutthroatleader.com
Old 06-16-2012, 12:47 PM

risenfly is on a distinguished road

Use bread bag ties (twistie ties) to keep your leaders looped up and free of tangles.

I carry a few leaders on me, but they're specific for situations. (nymphing, dries, streamers, etc) I use loop to loop and change them out. There's no need IMO to carry more than one extra of each. If you tear off, then just rebuild. You should never have to rebuild more than the bottom 2 sections if it's built right.

Do rebuilding at home too. It's easier done at a desk than streamside with a big rising brown in front of you. You'll screw up 100% of your blood knots in that situation according to my research. lol
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-25-2012, 10:58 PM

bakerboy2222 will become famous soon enough

Pill bags.
I tie all of my own leaders and use a few different set ups, and I love to tie my own leaders for nymphing because you can use blood knots for droppers and split shot. I wind them up, twist the thick end through the loop a few times, throw them in a pill bag (a mini ziplock bag, about 2"x2" available in Pharmacies) and throw in a sticky note saying what it is. I carry 15+ leaders for everything, which is handy for nymphing and you break off higher up than expected.

Simple solutions to simple problems, isn't that what this sport is about? We just like to take it a little farther sometimes
dean_mt likes this.
Old 06-26-2012, 03:29 AM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all

Assuming you're fishing freshwater and fish under two feet long, I think you can just bring 4 leaders, and just get creative with tippet.

I used to carry a dozen leaders for every trip. Everything from 1x down to 6x, then tippets spools ranging from 2x down to 7x. Of course, I was going through 3 to 4 leaders every trip (windknots). Sometimes in a day. So, before every trip I had to stock up on leaders. And all that had to go into my vest or chestpack or whatever. Somehow.

Three years ago I realized I wasn't going through leaders as fast. Sometimes one would last a couple trips. I realized I wasn't going to have to take out a loan for my leader addiction.

Then two years ago I started tracking what leaders i used on which waters and how many.

Last year I started consciously reducing the number of leaders I brought on a trip. I 'forced' myself to take only 8 leaders on a trip. Then 6. Then 4.

This year, I generally bring a furled leader if I think there's going to be a decent dry bite, a couple 3x leaders (one 7.5 ft. and one 9 ft.) and a couple 4x leaders (ditto the lengths). Tippet spools of 3x flouro, 4x, and a small flouro spool of berkeley's 4 lb. professional. And one 15 ft. length of 10 lb. flouro, just in case. The only time I really deviate from that is if there is a special situation I think I'm going to be fishing. Like a couple small streams I've hit where if any flyline hits the water, the game is over. So on goes the long, fine leaders and long, fine tippets. And it better not be too breezy. Or night fishing with mice. That's just a piece of 30 lb. mono with a 18 inch section of 10 pound for tippet.

Otherwise, I've found that I can make do at least 90% of the time with just a 7.5 ft. 3x tapered leader, or the furled leader. In fact, I'm pretty sure I haven't used a 4x leader at all this year. I like using 3x because it holds a loop better in wind than the 4x. If I feel the need to lengthen my leader/tippet combo beyond my normal 9 ft., I simply add up to a 2.5 ft. section of either 3x or 4x tippet, then an 18 inch section of whatever is the next step down in diameter.

Anyway, my suggestion to you would be try being more creative with less, rather than carry more stuff around with you. If you're like me at all, it just ends up being more stuff to misplace, or drop into the water anyway.

Peace.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 06-26-2012, 11:38 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

As far as leaders I'm using for the day I use a small leader wallet. But for overall storage and so I can always have all I need with me I use a CD/DVD book. The one I have has 75 plastic pouches and holds every type of leader from the heaviest saltwater with shock tippet or wire to the lightest trout leader. Fits in my glove compartment.
I also use an old backgammon case for saltwater leaders with pre tied on flys for the boat. Speeds things up when big toothy critters are making a meal of both flys and leaders. Little buttons on each end of the box keep the leaders straight , easily accessible and ready to switch.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser