The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2012, 11:57 AM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road
Default double taper & weight forward

Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I was just given a bunch of stuff from a friend who fished extensively. On some of the rods he has (for instance) "DT 6 or wf 7. when i asked him what the difference was he said 'same thing.' Is it that a DT 6 or a WF 7 might perform the same on that one rod? Or is it basically the same weight?
Old 06-15-2012, 12:34 PM

mikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud ofmikel has much to be proud of
Default Re: double taper & weight forward

Here is a thread, including a link to a 2nd thread, all about DT and WF lines. Perhaps your answer will be here.

Weight Forward vs Double Taper Lines
Old 06-16-2012, 12:39 AM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis7490 View Post
Hi,

I'm sure this has been discussed, but I was just given a bunch of stuff from a friend who fished extensively. On some of the rods he has (for instance) "DT 6 or wf 7. when i asked him what the difference was he said 'same thing.' Is it that a DT 6 or a WF 7 might perform the same on that one rod? Or is it basically the same weight?
A DT6 and WF7 are not the same fly line nor are they equivalent to each other. For the first 30 feet of fly line, meaning 30 feet outside the tip top rod guide, a standard DT and WF of the same wt and model of fly line will have the same front taper and will be identical. So the DT6 will be a 6 wt fly line and the WF7 will be a 7 wt fly line. However, the running line of the WF7 will be thinner and have less mass than the belly of a DT6 line.

Even when you get to the cross over point when the DT6 has the SAME mass for its length as the WF7 (because of the lesser mass of the running line, there will be a length at which the DT6 will catch the WF7 in mass), they will NOT cast the same. The total mass of the length of DT6 may be equal to the WF7 BUT the DISTRIBUTION of the mass will not be the same, so they will not cast the same.

If I were to guess, I would say that a rod that is labeled DT6 or WF7 is probably a 7 wt rod.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 06-16-2012, 06:29 PM

dennis7490 is on a distinguished road

Thank you. Although everything was educational, this reply answers the question as to why my friend said, "same thing." This a world of intricacies that could easily stump a lab rat in a maze.