The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 03:08 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road
Default Crosscurrent lineing

OK, after pouring over MANY pages of information, I am still up the air about this. Just bought the wifey a crosscurrent in 7 wt. We will be heading back to Belize in Aug. for some boneys. Here's the dillema, She is just beginning casting and can only hold about 30-35 ft of line in the air. Need line recomendations for her. The rio and sa bonefish taper lines have about a 40 head, wich may not load the rod properly. Could over line for her, or get a different taper. Any experience w/ this rod and combo?...I welcome all recomendations...Thanks,

Dave

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-17-2012, 09:41 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Crosscurrent lineing

Sorry. I don't have experience with that combination.

But I have outfitted people in your wife's situation. You have three options.
  1. Overline by one. That will increase the line mass making the rod easier to load with less line out.
  2. Go with a Scientific Anglers Redfish Taper. The head is much shorter at 30 feet. She would have the whole head out before the shoot. It is not listed, but it is 1/2 overlined, too.
  3. Have her take casting lessons. A casting instructor can get her used to casting with longer heads.

Dennis
Old 06-17-2012, 10:19 AM

fishindave is on a distinguished road

Casting lesson would be great. If I was there, I would help her along. Unfortunatly we are going to meet up in Atlanta then travel on to Ambergris. (I'm in Afghanistan now) I like the idea of the redfish taper....didn't think of that....Thanks

OH MY! OMAN! 2013
"All I want from life is an unfair advantage" W.C. Fields
Old 06-17-2012, 11:25 AM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Crosscurrent and Crosscurent GLX are two different critters. I have the Crosscurent GLX in a 9-weight and found it to be tempermental to (floating) line match ups. My final choice is RIO Tarpon Taper, a half size heavy line.