The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By fredaevans

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Cortland Sylk DTF First impressions

I have thought about buying a Cortland Sylk line for a while and finally ordered DT4 F a few weeks ago.I was a bit disappointed first when I got it….the mustard color is quite different from the honey one of a real silk line.I put it on a Vivarelli reel.Yesterday I went fishing and could test it for a few hours.I fished mainly on dry and a little on light nymph on sight with my Scott G2 5 wt.The line is really supple and soft,it’s also thinner than synthetic floating lines.It’s pleasant to cast ,allows a gentle presention and easy mending,floats well ,runs smoothly through the guides.I’ve fished the G2 with different lines and the Sylk is the one I like best.I will have to test it with Redington bamboo rod and with my Streamflex 10’ in fast waters.
We’ll see how this line behaves after several months of fishing….
Old 06-17-2012, 02:30 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cortland Sylk DTF First impressions

Have the same line and after fishing same for a year; two thoughts just keeping coming up in my mind. On a graphite rod, the lines a waste ... on a Boo ...JOOOOOYYYYYYYY!

Suspect this line would also be a 'Woozzer' on a fiberglass rod.

fae
Old 06-17-2012, 05:12 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

I considered trying one on my fiberglass rod but saw mixed reports that they were under weighted. Meaning that a 3 weight rod really needs a 4 wt Sylk line.

Is that true?
Old 06-17-2012, 05:24 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Mb, I'd say yes. Two reasons.

What's printed on the rod is ??? What's printed on the line .. same?

Up line by one even for 'short casting' is my .02 cents only.
Old 06-17-2012, 05:34 PM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Mb, I'd say yes. Two reasons.

What's printed on the rod is ??? What's printed on the line .. same?

Up line by one even for 'short casting' is my .02 cents only.

Now... are you saying that in general or just about the Sylk lines?
Old 06-18-2012, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
Now... are you saying that in general or just about the Sylk lines?
'All' single hander fly lines follow the AFTMA weight scale for their designation(s)** although you can get single hander lines in '1/2' scales (eg: lines a 5.5, etc). The listed line designation only takes into account the first 30 feet, so when you get more than that beyond the rod tip, you've increased the line weight somewhat. Well, a double taper anyway.

Rods, ahhhhh the rods ...... their line weight designation is what ever the manufacturer chooses to stick on the butt section. If you find your rods works just fine with a given line weight, any of that designation should work just fine. Just a choice of what head design works best for you and the fishing application.

** Two hander lines have a 'scale' but its all over the map and depends on the length of the head section. That can be a few feet to 100+.
jpbfly likes this.
Old 06-18-2012, 02:15 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Rods, ahhhhh the rods ...... their line weight designation is what ever the manufacturer chooses to stick on the butt section. If you find your rods works just fine with a given line weight, any of that designation should work just fine. Just a choice of what head design works best for you and the fishing application.
that's truenot sure you have noticed I tested this dt4f with my G2 5WT....it worked great...for me
Old 06-18-2012, 05:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpbfly View Post
that's truenot sure you have noticed I tested this dt4f with my G2 5WT....it worked great...for me

My Bad? But if one 'x rated' line works for you (application/conditions dependent) 'any' of them should. A good thing, it will save you a heck of a lot of money.

Let's not go into two-hander lines ....... sheesh. That, and the rods are all over the map as to what kind of line, and toss in grain weight(s), work 'best' with same. As an example I have one custom design (and he's damned good at this)/built that's rated as a 3/4/5 .... grain range, depending how you want the rod to cast/operate/fly size/yada-yada-yada goes from a low of 250 grains to 400. For folks who fish with Spey's that's a hell of a range for a light rod.

My application? As a three and I had (more on this in a second) a custom cut built for me by Steve Godshall here in Medford. Expect a 10 to 20 telephone conversation the first time through, he'll run you through your paces on: "Tell me about your casting style, how you'll fish the rod, where you'll fish the rod, for what kind of fish, etc., and etc." AND ETC!:sweatingb

Good news is after that (and I've just about totally switched over to his 'custom cuts') it gets far quicker than that. But you'll still get the same questions, you're just ahead of the game on how to answer. Just one after that; but same questions.

First, the end result will not cost you a penny/quid less than something off the shelf (personal experience=less). But the line will be built for that specific rod, specific fishing conditions, specific etc., and etc.

10 Guys have the same rod, rather doubt more than two would get the exact same line. Personally I don't even break the rod down (unless I actually had to) and just leave the (reel) line loosely strung on the rod.

Fish, fishing conditions are = that rod and that rod. Takes me twice as long to get the two old Doggies in the back of the Jeep as it does to get the rods loaded on the out side racks. Well, with Husky at 13, maybe 3 or 4?