The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Cortland BOSS (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/288939-cortland-boss.html)

hooked1 06-20-2012 01:50 PM

Cortland BOSS

Hey All,
Just wondering If anybody out there has had the chance to use the Cortland BOSS line.Looking for some feedback for personal interest.A friend was instrumental in its design and I have not seen much buzz about it.

Scott

utah daveii 06-20-2012 06:15 PM

Re: Cortland BOSS

A good friend of mine is the local Cortland rep and we usually do a couple of casting demos or classes together. He knows I am a casterbaiter so he had me cast some of the prototypes of the boss line and asked for reviews. He gave me some earlier protypes to fish and give feedback. It is a very good line and I am glad that Cortland has decided to spend a lot of time getting good feedback from good casters on line development. I think they have a winner in this line at the proposed price point. It was funny we were at a show and he let me cast the final prototype right after I had just cast the sharkskin trout taper (a line I very much like) and I ended up bombing the trout boss.

hooked1 06-20-2012 07:44 PM

Thats great news.It is beyond me as to why Cortland is so lagging in the promotional department.It is no wonder that they are on the brink.IMO with a line of the caliber you would think they would be screaming from the rooftops.Instead it is just put in the pile with the rest of their lines leaving the costumer on his own to find it.The sad news is that I just saw them in a local paper this past week in a list of judgement.17 Gs owed to a box manufacturing co.I hope they get it together soon.

Scott

utah daveii 06-20-2012 09:08 PM

Honestly, I do not think Cortland has ever recovered from the Lazerline debacle.

They have been developing better products as of late, but all everyone talks about are Rio and SA lines. I own RIO, Cortland, and SA lines and think they are all fabulous.

jhammer 06-20-2012 10:49 PM

There was an issue with Lazer lines? I used one for 9 years and never had a problem. :confused:

sweetandsalt 06-21-2012 07:41 AM

Thanks for this thread...I looked the Trout Boss up on the net and like what I saw. This is the presentation oriented type of taper I like, as is the SS Trout, Textured Trout Stalker, RIO Gold and Expert Distance Taper...they even call it an "extended head" rather tahn a long belly! They also say it is "AFFTMA compient" which I presume means true to weight designation. Nice color too. Does anyone know what type of core this line is built on?

Will this line save a poorly run and marketed company that over the last 2 decades has lost key employees one after another to other fly fishing companies? Perhaps it will help induce someone who appreciates the historic significance of Cortland Line to buy and refurbish this venerable but all but irrelevent now brand.

Jackster 06-21-2012 08:34 AM

I have a few lines with their Dyna-Tip technology and have to say, it really works. Nothing gets me miffed more than getting a floating line that doesn't float. It it wasn't for slick marketing brought to you by the mega-giant companies and investment companies that own a couple of the very top names in fly lines, I'm sure their sales would plummet.
By the looks of things Cortland has figured out what we consumers want in tapers. They already had the colors and floating technology down and, if I'm not mistaken, are still the number one producer of the braided cores used by many of the top line manufacturers.
Good on ya, Cortland. Now dump that CEO and get someone at the helm that knows how to kick butt and grab market share!

utah daveii 06-21-2012 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jhammer (Post 465960)
There was an issue with Lazer lines? I used one for 9 years and never had a problem. :confused:

When Cortland first brought out the lazerline they did zero product testing with it. It had some major issues with it. A lot of flyshop and tackle shops were not happy and immediately complained. Cortland quickly fixed the line, but the damage was done. Confidence was lost with the fly shop owners and they began to push different products (rio and SA).

If you know a flyshop owner that has been around between 15 and 25 years they still talk about it.

jhammer 06-22-2012 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utah daveii (Post 466146)
When Cortland first brought out the lazerline they did zero product testing with it. It had some major issues with it. A lot of flyshop and tackle shops were not happy and immediately complained. Cortland quickly fixed the line, but the damage was done. Confidence was lost with the fly shop owners and they began to push different products (rio and SA).

If you know a flyshop owner that has been around between 15 and 25 years they still talk about it.

My line must have been one of the lines that were corrected. It never gave me a bit of trouble and was tough as nails. However, I prefer my Mastery Textured Magnum now. :D

sweetandsalt 06-22-2012 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by utah daveii (Post 466146)
When Cortland first brought out the lazerline they did zero product testing with it. It had some major issues with it...

I would be curious to be informed as to what the issues were? As far as testing goes; I was invited to take a bag full of coded lines to the Exumas allong with a group of 7 other anglers. I was given comment sheets for each person to fill out after fishing these lines for a week. This line became the Lazer Tropic Plus which was a serious contender along with the existing SA Mastery Bonefish Taper. There are more specialized lines in this catagory now and I have not tried a brand new version of this Cortland line but the original was a fine and durable product that was a spot on match for certain rods. I am confident that I was not unique in this process wich certainly qualifies as "testing".