The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2012, 10:52 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough
Default Maintenance question for lines.

I been fly fishing for 7months now and I have cheap fly line. Orvis Clearwater fly line. Well I been cleaning my line with soap and luke-warm water and pushing the line though a dry soft towel. My line will feel so much cleaner, cast more smoother, BUT I still see the dirt on the line. I don't have no line dressing I don't know if that helps either. How can I get my line more cleaner? Any household item's will work for a dressing maybe? Does it help?
Old 06-24-2012, 11:00 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Maintenance question for lines.

One of my casting competition buddies likes to "juice" his fly lines with Armor All. I have not tried it.

Dennis
Old 06-24-2012, 11:11 PM

angelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the roughangelo1987 is a jewel in the rough

Was thinking about car cleaner but honestly I thought that would be too much chemical's getting into your line and not actually cleaning more of a waxing.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

You can get fly line dressings at a lot of big box sporting goods. I also have seen some at various Walmart locations. They may or may not be named brands though.

Dennis
Old 06-25-2012, 08:17 AM

Thanks, I'll call up some of my local tackle shops around here. Wal-mart here don't have anything for fly fishing. (Once in a blue moon)
Old 06-25-2012, 10:20 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

I wouldn't use harsh dish detergent on the lines. The major manufacturers also suggest not using it. Mild bar soap like Ivory works fine and isn't too harsh.
I also wouldn't use stuff you find in the garage or under the kitchen sink to dress lines. Dressings made for fly lines aren't really that expensive and go a long way. It's not like your cleaning all of the vinyl on your car. A few drops in a cloth is plenty for a fly line.
Just last fall I wanted to clean a bright, optic orange line for a fly fishing show demo I was set to do. The line I wanted to use was no longer orange but various shades of black from parking lot demo's. In my line prep drawer was a package of Mr. Clean Magic Erasers. They look like a fine grained sponge. I never saw anything clean a truly nasty line like they did.
I would opt for the original and not the bath scrubbing type... that has what sounds like harsh chemicals in it. Also, after using it I would definately dress the line. That will make the line cast and float better and is the directions are followed, attract less dirt to the line.
Here's a link to the original Magic Eraser: Mr. Clean Magic Eraser Original