The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Fly Lines (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/)
-   -   Help with line for Ross Flystik 8wt (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/fly-lines/289652-help-line-ross-flystik-8wt.html)

fly_or_die 06-25-2012 01:19 AM

Help with line for Ross Flystik 8wt

I recently bought a 8 wt Ross Flystik and I'm looking for a new bass line for it. I currently have a SA bass bug line on the rod but I'm looking for something that loads a lot quicker and can shoot with less false casting. I've narrowed it down between a couple and was wondering if you guys have any suggestions. I'm currently looking at the SA textured series magnum taper, the SA Pike mastery line, Or maybe the rio outbound or outbound short. I will be mainly using it for bass, and possibly a carp or smaller pike if I get the chance. Looking for something shoots easy and still has good accuracy. Any help would be great!

MoscaPescador 06-25-2012 01:57 AM

Re: Help with line for Ross Flystik 8wt

A Rio Outbound Short WF8F (315 grains) works great with a Ross Flystik especially when throwing some big uglies. When the rod was released, I tested the rod with that line. When fishing close in, just a bit more than a rod length of line off the tip top is needed to get the fly 25 to 30 feet out. With the whole head out, it turned the Flystik into a cannon.

Keep in mind that the Flystik is a short and fast rod. It was not meant for distance. It was made for accurate close in fishing. The rod can cast nearly the whole length of a Rio Outbound Short, but accuracy will not be that great.

An issue with the Rio Outbound Short is that it might be a spooky line for carp since it is oversized. You may want to use something lighter and finer. Since carp flies are not really big uglies, a WF9F SA Textured Magnum Taper or a Rio Coldwater Clouser Line may work better.

The reality is that you need to choose the line that will help you deliver the flies that you wish to present.

Dennis

fly_or_die 06-25-2012 03:41 AM

Did you find the outboard short to be quite accurate at typical bass casting distances?

MoscaPescador 06-25-2012 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fly_or_die (Post 467141)
Did you find the outboard short to be quite accurate at typical bass casting distances?

It was dead on.

fly_or_die 07-03-2012 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MoscaPescador (Post 467159)
It was dead on.

Thanks for the info, did you use the flowing or intermidiate line?

MoscaPescador 07-03-2012 11:58 PM

Floating line