The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-06-2012, 08:16 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: WF or DT on your small creek rods?

Hey guys, I actually forgot about this thread. I ended up getting the Wulff triangle taper. It is the best of both worlds it seems so I thought I would give it a shot. I haven't had a chance to try it yet but will be taking it out tomorrow.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:25 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I'm glad you updated the thread! Let us know how you like the Triangle taper. I have a bamboo rod I just got the ferrules on tonight and I'm thinking about trying a triangle taper for it.

ps my wife got me a nice Orvis CFO for the rod as an anniversary gift
Old 10-07-2012, 05:42 AM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

Will do! Your wife has great taste, that reel is going to look awesome on bamboo!
Old 10-08-2012, 12:42 PM

I didn't get to try it for very long, but so far I don't like it. Kind of stinks because if I have to buy a new line to replace this anyways, I could have just bought both a DT and WF. It casts pretty nice and seems like it is more accurate than a WF but I could't get it to roll cast worth a ****. I don't think there is enough resistance since all the line I have out is very thin, this makes it hard to mend as well. The taper is 35' long so you have to have quite a bit of line out to get the benefits of the triangle taper I think. I will fish it some more before I make a final decision on it, so we will see how it goes.

Last edited by woodrivertroutbum; 10-08-2012 at 12:42 PM. Reason: typo
Old 10-08-2012, 02:49 PM

Aftering looking around online, the Ambush TT may be a little better for smaller water since the taper is about 15' shorter than the regular TT line. Even then, I don't think this line was a good recommendation from the shop knowing that I use the 2wt to fish small waters. I will probably pick up a DT later today or on Saturday after I give this line one more try.

For bigger water where you will be casting and roll casting over 25-30 feet, this line may be great.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:54 PM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the feedback on it. We'll see if others weigh in on the TT, as I've heard great things about it elsewhere. I've just never used it personally.
Old 10-08-2012, 04:14 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute

That is really unusual since the Wulff Triangle taper is made to roll cast. Don't be insulted, but I need to ask if you put the line on the reel backward so the running line is at the front?

Silver

http://tinyurl.com/kkctayx

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-08-2012, 04:32 PM

Lol, the line is on the reel the correct way. Even if they put it on the spool backwards at the factory there is only 1 welded loop on this line.

I am going to fish the heck out of it this weekend to see if my feelings change. Maybe my expectations were set too high or something, I just expected to be able to roll cast it better than my WF lines. There is always the possibility that it just isn't a good match with my rod as well.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:08 AM

Found this article on the triangle tapers. It's from '06 but I don't see info on the line being updated on the Wulff website. Not sure what to think about the Triangle taper. Best thing is to try it on my rod, but that's a $60 decision since I don't see it listed on any of the webpages of the local fly shops.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:21 PM

That article definitely makes me feel the line was a bad recommendation for what I want to use it for. On my 2wt, I will probably never or very rarely ever have to shoot line past 35' with it, usually I don't even need half that out when I am fishing small streams, which is what I bought the 2wt for.