The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 03:31 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WF or DT on your small creek rods?

All may not be lost IF you are willing to take a risk.

The triangle taper by its design can be cut back making the first 30 feet of the fly line heavier. It also makes the tip thicker and less delicate. In fact, this is one of the reasons the TT was made as a straight continuos taper rather than a compound taper.

It seems to me that you have 2 options. Sell the TT or begin cutting it back until the weight of the line balances the rod at the distances you cast.

http://royalwulff.com/products/trian...ting-fly-line/

"The Triangle Taper is a continuous forward taper in the head of the line, the first 27 to 40 feet depending on the application. ......... The tip end can be customized by cutting it back for the desired performance level."

Write the company and see if they think the line can be cut back enough to load your rod at your casting distance.

http://royalwulff.com/contact/

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 10-09-2012, 03:57 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I saw that as well. The issue with that is for small stream brook trout, I want the delicate presentation. I think I am just going to throw it in the cabinet and get a Cortland Peach DT.

The thing that really stinks is we want to go up to NH this weekend so having to spend another $60 on a line is crappy.
Old 10-09-2012, 10:50 PM

woodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the roughwoodrivertroutbum is a jewel in the rough

I am going to just bring the line back tomorrow. They suggested the line even after I told them it was a small creek rod and I wanted either DT or WF so I think they will let me exchange it. I usually don't like to return things to smaller shops for some reason but I also feel I shouldn't be out $65 either. I am going to grab the Cortland Peach DT. Can anyone tell me if that line has welded loops?
Old 10-13-2012, 11:58 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold

This week I caught two bluegills, a couple 10 inch or so smallmouths, and one really slab rock bass,,on my Redington CT, 7' 6", 2wt. I want to tell you, each one felt like a great white shark...been a while since I smiled so much ! If they put some more stocker trout in the local streams, I can't wait to try it out on them. You guys that live where you have them,,, need to be really thankful for all the native and wild trout you have.,,,it must be just awesome.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:15 AM

countorlok is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_guy12955 View Post
This week I caught two bluegills, a couple 10 inch or so smallmouths, and one really slab rock bass,,on my Redington CT, 7' 6", 2wt. I want to tell you, each one felt like a great white shark...been a while since I smiled so much ! If they put some more stocker trout in the local streams, I can't wait to try it out on them. You guys that live where you have them,,, need to be really thankful for all the native and wild trout you have.,,,it must be just awesome.
Hi Fly_guy12955, I recently purchased a CT #2. What line are you using (Brand and if its DT or WF)?
I bought a Rio LT DT2F. It feels very nice. I couldn't test it that much, but I coudln't feel the rod gets loaded that much. Should I chance the line for a WF or is it just a matter of getting used to it?

Will this rod and line will allow me to cast small beadhead nymphs?
I'll appreciate as much info as you can provide.
Thanks!

Fred
Old 10-14-2012, 07:34 AM

I ended up getting an Orvis Superfine WF and love it so far. It loads the rod at short distance and stays supple even with a coating of ice on it. I was getting some tailing loops but that was probbably an issue on my end.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:04 AM

r reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nicer reese is just really nice

Wolf Triangle Taper are the lines i use on my 2 and 3 wt's
Old 10-14-2012, 09:17 AM

countorlok is on a distinguished road

Thanks R Reese and Woodrivertroutbum. I live in Argentina and in the province I live in is kind of hard to get any of those two lines.
At the local flyshop they have the Rio LT DT and the Rio LT WF.

Here's my point: I tried the Redington CT #2 with a SA WF2 line, not sure about the model, or the age of the line. I felt the line did not load the rod enough (maybe I didn't get used to it yet).
Some people say and also at the local fly shop, that the correct line for that rod is the Rio LT (WF or DT).
Has anyone tried that combination?
Since I don't have many options, which of the two would you recommend?
They won't let me try the lines, so I need to pick the right one.
I've heard the two tappers (WF and DT) are pretty much the same in the Rio LT so there won't be much difference, and they told me.. if you take the DT, you'll have two lines in one.
Will this combo cast beadhead nymphs or small woolybuggers?
I wouldn't like to load a 3wt line on a #2 rod.
What would be your advice?
Many thanks for your help! Not being able to try the lines is a pain in the neck.

Fred
Old 10-14-2012, 09:55 AM

coug will become famous soon enoughcoug will become famous soon enough

I came into this thread late but it was a good read and kind of summarizes my experience, and that is to try out as many lines as you can and see what works for you for that rod. I bought a new 4wt last spring and the builder suggested a DT. I bought one and tried it, but then tried two other WF lines on it that I had. I did not like one of WF lines at all on that rod, but the other was more comfortable for me than the DT.
Old 10-19-2012, 09:04 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

It may be pure coincidence, but it's amazing to me how often a question here on FFFNA soon becomes an article on somebody's newsletter or blog
Some very good information here too.

Whither the Double Taper?
chi flyfisher likes this.