Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 06:43 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly line to leader loop

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
Ah. Now I see. Is there some advantage to this method over a "loop to loop" connection?

Thanks.

John
Its easier than a nail knot or putting a whipped loop on the end of the fly line. The biggest disadvantage I can see is with it getting hung up going through the rod guides. I'll stick with loop-to-loop, a plain old nail knot, or the Amnesia loop.
Old 08-25-2012, 06:53 AM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
Its easier than a nail knot or putting a whipped loop on the end of the fly line. The biggest disadvantage I can see is with it getting hung up going through the rod guides. I'll stick with loop-to-loop, a plain old nail knot, or the Amnesia loop.
It's fairly easy to tie a perfection loop with just a little practice, anyway. Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-25-2012, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
It's fairly easy to tie a perfection loop with just a little practice, anyway. Thanks,

John
Agreed, the perfection loop is easy to tie. My point was the "jam knot" connecting fly-line to the perfection loop on the leader; being easier than other options.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:14 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

My hands shake a lot these days, so whipping a loop on the end of the line would be difficult. Threading a 5x tippet through the eye of a #14 fly is comical. I need to hold both hands together and work very slowly.

I can't tie a Turle knot easily anymore, so I use a different type of Jam knot for that. It still gives me a straight connection to the fly, which I think is important.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 08-25-2012, 08:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
My hands shake a lot these days, so whipping a loop on the end of the line would be difficult. Threading a 5x tippet through the eye of a #14 fly is comical. I need to hold both hands together and work very slowly.

I can't tie a Turle knot easily anymore, so I use a different type of Jam knot for that. It still gives me a straight connection to the fly, which I think is important.
I ran into that problem today, I managed to get the fly tied using a Davy knot, but it would have been easier if I'd remembered to bring some reading glasses....getting old man eyes sucks.
Old 08-25-2012, 08:35 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

Quote:
it would have been easier if I'd remembered to bring some reading glasses....getting old man eyes sucks.
I switched to bifocals twenty years ago when I discovered that my arms weren't long enough to tie on a fly.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 08-25-2012, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
I switched to bifocals twenty years ago when I discovered that my arms weren't long enough to tie on a fly.
The only spectacles (other than sunglasses) I have are reading 1.5x glasses. I have two pair, one next to my recliner at home and one pair on my desk at work.

For me its 14 and smaller flies with 6x and smaller tippet that starts presenting a challenge. I have some Orvis "Flip Focals" on order, they should be here in a few days, then I'll get 'em stuck to the bill of a hat and should be good to go...as long as I grab the right hat on the way out the door.