The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 PM

jspriddy is on a distinguished road
Default fly line to leader loop

In order to change leaders quickly, or frequently, is OK to use a loop to loop connection, with a perfection loop or surgeon's loop? Will loops affect casting?

Thanks for being patient with a greenhorn,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-10-2012, 09:19 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

John, a loop-to-loop with perfection loops will do you just fine! Most new fly lines will come with welded loops in the end for this purpose. Using forceps or something similar will help tie a nice compact perfection loop.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-10-2012, 10:04 PM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road
Default Re: fly line to leader loop

Buddy turned me onto the Amnesia loop (nail knot with a perfection loop). He says:
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeeping hillbilly
Yeah I got 15 lb on my 4,5 wt rods and 20lbs on my 6s and 25lbs on my seven and my Spey rod.

My 2 and 3 wt rods I used 5x tippet material cause I couldn't get Amnesia light enough. On these I use the Scientific Anglers strike indicators slid on my leaders in between the knots as I tie up my leaders. Harry Murray came up with this idea a long time ago using old cut up fly line and take out the braid and past it on to SA and they liked it and started making/selling them.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
John, a loop-to-loop with perfection loops will do you just fine! Most new fly lines will come with welded loops in the end for this purpose. Using forceps or something similar will help tie a nice compact perfection loop.

Thanks. Does the perfection loop have any advantages over the surgeon's loop? I can tie either, but the surgeon's loop is easier.

John

---------- Post added at 06:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 06:39 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
Buddy turned me onto the Amnesia loop (nail knot with a perfection loop). He says:

Click the image to open in full size.

I have enough memory problems without introducing amnesia into the mix. In fact, I'm not certain I'm not already there.

No, really, thanks. I have yet to start learning nail knots, but I'll keep this in mind.

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-11-2012, 07:26 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jspriddy View Post
Thanks. Does the perfection loop have any advantages over the surgeon's loop? I can tie either, but the surgeon's loop is easier.
Yes, the perfection loop lays out straight(er).
Old 08-11-2012, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowpokey View Post
Yes, the perfection loop lays out straight(er).

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-24-2012, 06:12 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I just use a Jam Knot in the Perfection loop of the leader. I used to whip a loop on the line, but I've gotten lazy and the Jam knot works fine.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 08-24-2012, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
I just use a Jam Knot in the Perfection loop of the leader. I used to whip a loop on the line, but I've gotten lazy and the Jam knot works fine.

I'm not sure I understand. Please explain.

Thanks,

John

Patrick O’Brian
Old 08-24-2012, 08:41 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

I had a hard time finding an illustration of the Jam knot to Perfection loop but here is one - Jam Knot.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 08-25-2012, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
I had a hard time finding an illustration of the Jam knot to Perfection loop but here is one...
Ah. Now I see. Is there some advantage to this method over a "loop to loop" connection?

Thanks.

John

Patrick O’Brian