The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Leader building

Yellowed up, they're TOAST!

Fred
Old 08-25-2012, 10:27 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

I haven't seen the Benadryl "paper" form...gotta check on that. I keep popping the capsules no matter where I put them in a pocket or something.
Old 08-25-2012, 10:33 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Your location may have a lot to do with that.
fae
Old 08-25-2012, 10:41 AM

cowpokey is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by fredaevans View Post
Your location may have a lot to do with that.
fae
Yeah, we don't have a CVS (or anything close to it) around here. Over the counter drugs are limited to only the most popular stuff that everyone buys....or junk that no one buys.
Old 08-25-2012, 11:01 AM

Thumbs up Re: Leader building

Want me to 'run some down' and mail it to you?

Boy 'O Boy ... have we gotten far afield from "Leader Building.''
;>)
Old 08-26-2012, 05:26 PM

nickel will become famous soon enoughnickel will become famous soon enough

When I tie perfection loops I always make sure that I pull taut all three sections simultaneously; I put my hemostats in the loop and use my right hand, the tag end i pull with my teeth and the leader portion with my left hand. When I pull the leader portion with my left and the loop section wrapped around the end of my hemostats with my right...I guide the tag end with my teeth and the tag end always comes out 90 degrees from the leader. The loop comes out straight in line with the leader ( no curves).

To straighten my leaders I pull them taut in a 2ft section at a time while flicking the line several times with my thumb (all the while producing a little medley). The vibration along with the stretch straightens the coils.
Old 08-26-2012, 06:25 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

This method is completely suitable. You can make enough friction heat before you yelp and let go to damage the leader, rather just enough to straighten coils. As for kinks, then like someone said above, just tie on a new tippet.
Old 08-26-2012, 08:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dean_mt View Post
This method is completely suitable. You can make enough friction heat before you yelp and let go to damage the leader, rather just enough to straighten coils. As for kinks, then like someone said above, just tie on a new tippet.
The only method I have found that causes friction heat is pulling your leader through something such as a leader straightener. In my aforementioned post I don't pull and slide the leader through my hands (resulting in a yelp?). I simply stretch the leader taut and flick it while doing so. Maybe my recommendation was misunderstood? However...that being said this is the way I straighten my leaders that I purchase that come packaged and in a coil. If you try it and it works...great! If not...no harm no foul! I am not an elitist.
Old 08-26-2012, 09:23 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I mistyped...what I meant was the only method of using friction heat to straighten yet doesn't create too much heat to damage the material is by simply pinching the leader between your fingers and pulling it through. The reason you cannot create too much heat and friction this way is because you will feel the heat and if you pull to fast and/or pinch too hard ... you'll know it because it burns! Hence the "yelp."

When you pinch the leader in a piece of leather or rubber it's easy to squeeze too hard and pull too fast, enough to possible weaken the tippet.
Old 08-27-2012, 05:13 PM

Gotcha! I see what your saying. I actually had to use this method this morning.