The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree8Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-30-2012, 11:20 AM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Leader building

Just as an interesting note, A.J. McClane (my hero ) suggested that if you hold the leader by the butt and cast it with your hand, it should lay out full length. Any points of collapse indicate a need for altering the mass and/or suppleness of the leader in that area.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 08-30-2012, 12:26 PM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm one of the few people around that most stings don't seem to even hurt. That is till I got one of those Hornets that nest in the ground got me. It got inside my sunglasses and got me in the eye lid. That one hurt.
Old 08-31-2012, 03:11 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

SweetandSalt, very nice leader design for technical dry fly fishing requiring a balanced leader over fifteen feet.

Last edited by dillon; 08-31-2012 at 06:35 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 02:03 AM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Since furled leaders were mentioned..... I have become a serious fan of them. I got a bunch of them from Joni. They are made of Kevlar. As many of you know, I fish really big water most or the time. Far and deep are required pretty much all of the time. Joni made me 12'ers for my spey rods. They are tapered to work the the weight rod I'm using. I can bomb a cast out way over a hundred feet and have the leader turn over and lay out straight as an arrow. I get at least a few extra feet just because they do lay out so dang straight. You don't need to know a whole bunch of knots. She puts a welded ring, tiny like a hook eye, on the end. You only need to know a single knot and you're good to go. They can be made to float. They can be left alone and Kevlar sinks like a brick. I can't say enough good things about them. I've become a furled leader addict.

Oddly enough, I never used them till last year. I even had a leader Joni made she gave me with a fly swap we were both in that set there for a couple of years. I had it there and didn't use it. I could kick myself now. They are the bomb!

By the way, I have started to see Mooneye in the slack water behind the bridge piling again. (I saw this last year to) That's a good 140' plus cast. This year I'm going to try and do it with a little dry fly on a Kevlar leader from Joni.
Old 09-01-2012, 09:05 AM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Diver Dan, I fish a 17 ft mono leader with a floating line on my Spey rod to swing and skate surface flies for Summer Steelhead. I have been thinking about using a furled or braided leader. You mention that furled leaders can be made to float. Are they constructed to float or does one need to grease them? Thanks
Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Banned

You can wax or grease it. I like them because they lay out so darned nice. Most of the time I fish deep and they seriously do that if you don't put something on them.
fredaevans likes this.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:43 PM

45fisher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diver Dan View Post
Since furled leaders were mentioned..... I have become a serious fan of them. I got a bunch of them from Joni. They are made of Kevlar. As many of you know, I fish really big water most or the time...... I've become a furled leader addict.

I'm with Dan on the furled leaders. I make my own and don't have to straighten any leaders. Once you use a furled leader it's next to impossible to go back to making your own or buying the tapered ones.
If by chance the tippet gets curled or twisted...I just cut it off and add another new 3'-5'.

Dan,
I use to get stung and it never bother me...last two I started to swell up. I carry Benadryl now. I keep mine in one of those 1” square plastic boxes that they use to sell hooks and tiny lead weights in. Every now and then you can still find them.
Any way the Doc told me sometimes it take just one sting and you go into anaphylactic shock and sometimes it takes 100, or 101. You never know… So watch out.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:13 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by 45fisher View Post

Dan,
I use to get stung and it never bother me...last two I started to swell up. I carry Benadryl now. I keep mine in one of those 1” square plastic boxes that they use to sell hooks and tiny lead weights in. Every now and then you can still find them.
Any way the Doc told me sometimes it take just one sting and you go into anaphylactic shock and sometimes it takes 100, or 101. You never know… So watch out.
Christ, not you too! Lots of 'Yellow Jackets' about where I live (love Humming Bird feeders, but they're a 'chick magnet' for the damned things. Don't leave the house without the carry case hooked to my belt with an Eppie Pen inside.

Took me several (like lots) of years from the first to "Boy, you're in Deep Shxt!" But the actually number of stings could be counted on less fingers than both hands. But once your systems says "no" the effect of another sting is exponential as to what's going to happen next. Should also say 'ditto' to a fully charged cell phone, even on the river......
Old 10-07-2012, 11:49 PM
Banned

I had almost forgot about it, but while I'm thinking of it..... One time when I lived in Oceanside California, I had an open can of pop setting there. I went and took a drink and felt something funny in my mouth and instantly spit it out. It was a wasp. I managed to get it back out of my mouth before it stung me. I have not trusted cans much since. Back then, I remember them getting into other peoples cans also. They must be attracted by the smell or something.

They also had a wasp out there that was enormous. It was metalic blue with black wings and pincers so big it was scary. They are like an inch and a half long or so. One got inside a guys shirt once where I was working while we were eating lunch outside. It stung him several times before we got it out of there. He ended up going to the hospital. Nasty bug.
Click the image to open in full size.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:52 PM

chuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nicechuck s is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by overmywaders View Post
Just as an interesting note, A.J. McClane (my hero ) suggested that if you hold the leader by the butt and cast it with your hand, it should lay out full length. Any points of collapse indicate a need for altering the mass and/or suppleness of the leader in that area.
Yep that works for me! AJ and his many mentors such as Ritz were rarely wrong.

As for your other questions: Epi pen - checkl
Beny Tablets - check!

Just pull on the leader and line before you hit the water, tugging on it till you feel it stretch a bit. Hook that perf loop onto something and give it a good tug--it should straighten right out also. I have one of those leather rubber pads things but relegated it to the unused equipment box once I found out about stretching.

I started years back making my own leaders and still do but mine first kit was
a Maxima kit. The Ritz/AJ formula of 60 -20 -20 was and still is a good one to begin with and change if it needs changing or as you find other that works. Light deteriorates leader but in most cases, just worry about the tippet being fresh. I have and regularly use leader for all but the class tippet that I bough in the 70s and it's still supple and strong but admittedly when the stakes are highest such as on a prolonged trip, I use fresher stuff.
I dislike any kinks, offsets, coils, etc in a leader as that will cause problems just when you don't need them.
Chuck S

"I've traveled many roads and some weren't paved."
Will Rodgers

http://fishing-folks.blogspot.com/