The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree50Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 12:17 AM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are high end fly lines worth the expense?

Yup. I started out with cheap lines. Cortland 333. No slick coating. Had the memory of an elephant. Shot like sand.

I tried a bunch of lines. Some where given to me. Some I bought new from individuals who had not used them. tried one or two used in good shape.

RIO mainstream was a step up. But it didn't shoot as well or as far as I would have liked. it was still good stuff.

Eventually I found airflo. their ridge lines are great. Shoot well, mend well, cast well.

No fly line manufacturer- RIO, SA, Airflo, Cortland, etc.... has 100% quality control or manufacturing processes. Each one has it faults and sometimes they are not perfect. But everyone finds a line- and usually its not a cheap $20 one- that suits their casting style, their fly rod, and their fishing conditions and they swear by it. And usually they are mid to high end ones.
Old 12-01-2012, 12:48 AM
Banned

Location: Lake of the Woods/Rainy River Minnesota Canada border
Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

Having read through a lot of this thread, this came to mind:
Old 12-01-2012, 08:26 AM

wannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to beholdwannafish is a splendid one to behold

Hilarious!...but so true to actual life, and I take it you're saying there's a whole lot of factors to consider when choosing a fly line
Old 12-01-2012, 09:13 AM

billyspey has a spectacular aura aboutbillyspey has a spectacular aura about

Check out Snowbee lines I bought one this year and have been really impressed with it.less than $60.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:03 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

Every July, on a sunny, no-hatch afternoon, I organize all my fishing buddies and acquaintances that are in Craig, MT (and the little town is packed with dry fly fanatics) to gather on a patch of lawn with their current favorite 5-weight rod and line. We all switch off with one anothers rods then start switching lines among the ensemble of rods. Every year experienced anglers say, "Wow, I can't believe I bought the wrong rod...this Brand X is so much more of what I thought I was buying", or, "This is my favorite line and I have been fishing this forever, it is unbelievable that your Brand Y line absolutely elevates the performance of my rod." Non of this surprises me because it is very difficult to try rods next to one another and even harder to try four+ different design/brand floating lines on your rod. Therefore the value of a resource of a group of anglers sharing what they think works best. Of course there is rarely a uniform opinion as to the best anything but often there is a consensus and we all learn something.

I will say this; the fly line that winds up with the most accolades is invariably a sophisticated new design from SA, RIO or Airflo (and next year I will have a Cortland Boss rigged up too) and the rod that drives participants in this edifying process to want to shred their credit card (there are three fly shops in town selling everything and there is no sales tax in Montana) is always one of the high-end ones (last year there was some division between ONE and Zenith though my wife stuck by her Gatti).

Fishing the Missouri during PMD's is demanding of tackle and the anglers that fish with it. I can think of few things I'd rather be doing.
jaybo41 likes this.
Old 12-01-2012, 01:13 PM

newby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of lightnewby is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetandsalt View Post
Every July, on a sunny, no-hatch afternoon, I organize all my fishing buddies and acquaintances that are in Craig, MT (and the little town is packed with dry fly fanatics) to gather on a patch of lawn with their current favorite 5-weight rod and line. We all switch off with one anothers rods then start switching lines among the ensemble of rods. Every year experienced anglers say, "Wow, I can't believe I bought the wrong rod...this Brand X is so much more of what I thought I was buying", or, "This is my favorite line and I have been fishing this forever, it is unbelievable that your Brand Y line absolutely elevates the performance of my rod." Non of this surprises me because it is very difficult to try rods next to one another and even harder to try four+ different design/brand floating lines on your rod. Therefore the value of a resource of a group of anglers sharing what they think works best. Of course there is rarely a uniform opinion as to the best anything but often there is a consensus and we all learn something.

I will say this; the fly line that winds up with the most accolades is invariably a sophisticated new design from SA, RIO or Airflo (and next year I will have a Cortland Boss rigged up too) and the rod that drives participants in this edifying process to want to shred their credit card (there are three fly shops in town selling everything and there is no sales tax in Montana) is always one of the high-end ones (last year there was some division between ONE and Zenith though my wife stuck by her Gatti).

Fishing the Missouri during PMD's is demanding of tackle and the anglers that fish with it. I can think of few things I'd rather be doing.
Doesn't surprise me one bit. The way lines AND rods are made these days- every company has multiple tapers even among similar rod/line designs, it can take some doing to find which rod/line combination truly is best for the andler, and it is often surprising.

My BVK casts Airflo Ridge Supple Technical Trout very well. This surprised me as Airflo is not a heavy line, or marketed for fast actions. In addition it has a long, delicate taper. I would have thought it would be more suited on a medium action rod and that my BVK would be more suited to a taper like the RIO Gold which is heavy and up front, but no. Casting stroke and technique also plays into it.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:38 PM
Banned

Guest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond reputeGuest1 has a reputation beyond repute

OK, one last bit of pot stirring. I recently bought a line that cost me $175 and think it is worth every penny of it. It is such a specialty line that mass production isn't going to be a cost saving factor. It has a unique purpose that no other line meets. They want $175 for it. Is it worth it? It must be because I paid that for it and would again. Things are worth what people will pay for them. Profit is not a sin, business is not a charity. By paying more than it costs to make these lines they can afford to expand, make more types of lines. Research better lines and line materials. That's what makes the world go around.
jaybo41, sweetandsalt and newby like this.
Old 12-01-2012, 05:32 PM

overmywaders will become famous soon enough

For those who fish dry flies and care about presentation, a silk line is worth consideration. You can get a superb silk fly line made by Phoenix for only $250.00 from Olaf at Silk Fly Lines.

A silk line will last twenty years or more with moderate care. If you amortize that, it means only $12.50 a year for line. A $60.00 line that lasts for only two years means a line cost of $30.00 a year. Add to the silk line, the manifold advantages of silk lines in presentation and, for some, a silk line is a winner. Not for all situations, of course.
kelkay likes this.

http://overmywaders.com
Old 12-01-2012, 08:02 PM

kelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to beholdkelkay is a splendid one to behold

Dan, was it silk? I have a lot of reels. I just put on them what I can afford. One of these days I am going to buy one or two silk lines. I want to use silk for my bamboo rod, and my fiberglass rods. (the fiberglass are old, and have small guides) No way could I put silk on all my reels. Other than that, I am fine with mostly Rio lines at this time.
Old 12-01-2012, 08:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by kelkay View Post
Dan, was it silk?
No, it is a spey line. Long belly for a really big rod. It has a 95' head. Made by Carron Jetstream. Gordon Armstrong of Ireland and the Carron team made a 222' cast on one of their lines. I am putting this line on a 17' 11wt. Thomas and Thomas. I can hit 140 pretty easily with a short belly and a 15' 10/11 wt. so between the longer head and longer rod I should be able to get another 30 feet or better out of it. They make a line with a 105 foot head. If I can locate one of the rods Hardy used to make, a 20' 12 wt. I bet I will be able to do well past the 180' mark and then I'll be happy. I want to get a Mooneye at better than 130 feet next summer with a little dry fly. I am really doing it for the Walleye I fish for though. Fall before this one 140' casts were the bare minimum needed.