The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 11:13 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cortland Line-Leader Loop Connector

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
I had a hard time snaking it for that half inch. lol

I am total noob when it comes to this.. lol
Patience grasshopper!
You have to push the braid together so it swells then inch the line in then repeat, repeat and repeat again until you start cussing out loud and then repeat again! Eventually you will get it all the way in there. Once it is all the way in and you are proud of your effort, tug on the system a few times to seat the braid. If you do this part right you won't find that a loose section appears once you make a few casts with it.
A small gap at the bottom won't affect the strength of the connection too much but it will cause a noticeable hinge point when casting.
I learned all of this through trial and error a while back. You might find that just nail knotting a 3-6" piece of mono to the line with a loop on the other end is a lot easier to install and is quite durable.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:11 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I do use them. Snake the line as far as it will go, little dab of superglue at the very end where the heat shrink will go, slide the shrink wrap to the endpoint, use the lighter. all done. 20 pound atlantic salmon have not been able to make it fail yet. Of course, there's always a first time...for everything.
Gary
Old 09-13-2012, 12:35 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

I dont have any extra shrink tubes anymore. I just did one of the advise from our good folks here. Just tie a mono in between.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:48 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Eliminate the Cortland loop from that and you are set. Using the Cortland loop is not a bad thing at all and some guys swear by them. I found them to be a bit to tedious for me.

I use a large mono to tie my butt section with, I usually use 22lb material, I have found it to be fairly compatible with most tapered leaders. Tie a loop into the end of your butt section if you wish to avoid having to tie a blood knot to connect your leader and butt section. The blood knot is very easy though and I highly recommend it.

I commonly use a butt section with a loop and then tie my tippet directly to that loop and use 6-12' of straight tippet, it is quick and easy and is a superior method for nymphing in a lot of situations. I will start with a 7-10 lb piece of tippet and then blood knot or surgeon knot a smaller tippet to that if I have leader shy fish.
Old 09-13-2012, 01:05 PM

BlueBird will become famous soon enoughBlueBird will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to BlueBird Send a message via MSN to BlueBird

Ok, I will cut that Cortland loop off totally. Besides it looks odd. lol
Old 09-13-2012, 06:16 PM

dillon has a spectacular aura aboutdillon has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueBird View Post
Ok, I will cut that Cortland loop off totally. Besides it looks odd. lol
Good idea. Nice nail knots, but it does look odd, and will probably cast odd. That's how one learns. Like I wrote in my post about making sink tips, I only use Cortland loops for a connection from the sink tip to a built in flyline loop, as is found on a skatgit head. I buy 30 ft of T 11, cut it in half and make 2 sink tips. Good luck.
cochise likes this.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:20 PM

nawilliams is on a distinguished road

I tried them when I first started fly fishing, I used a blow dryer to get it shrunk without melting anything. Never had one fail on a fish, a tree finally did one in. Otherwise they will hold up pretty well if you get them done right.