Cortland Line-Leader Loop Connector

BlueBird

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this? The package comes with 4 braided loops.

Guess what? I have wasted 3 out of 4. :mad:

Good thing the last piece I was able to do it right. No specific instructions on how to heat the "heat shrink plastic" piece, I use a regular lighter to heat it.
- 1st: melted the brained loop; :eek:
- 2nd: melted the fly line; :shocking:
- 3rd: almost perfect and not satisfied and try to shrink the plastic but ended up melting the braided loop again. :(
- 4th: last piece: got it right but a bit tad loose on the on both end. :confused:

I can't get this shrink properly. I should have just save my money and tie my own loop. LOL :eek:

stanbiker

Reaction score
I'd skip the connector and just nail knot some mono with a loop. The braided connectors seem to fail when it's most important.

Jackster

Reaction score
If you have to use the heat shrink, try using a regular light bulb to shrink it. It's not as hot or unpredictable as an open flame.

dillon

Reaction score
I use those loops for making T11 or T14 sink tips. I use them for making a loop to loop connection with a skagit shooting head for steelhead fishing. I slip the tip a couple inches into the braid and glue it with zap a gap. I nail knot a 1 ft. 40lb maxima mono but section on the other end and tie a loop on the other end of the mono. I loop on a 2 ft. 12lb leader. That's a standard set up for swinging flies in the PNW.

BlueBird

Reaction score
omg. I only slip in about half (1/2) inch of fly line into the braided loop and heat shrink the plastic tube. This may mean disaster when I fish with this. :shocking:

There's no more shrink tube left and I guess I will just cut it and tie nail knot with a 15 lbs mono in between the fly line and the Cortland braided loop.

BlueBird

Reaction score
This is how I intalled the braidd loop.

Then i did a little tug on both ends and off it goes. I just tied nail knot with mono in between.

chased

Reaction score
I've tried different heat shrink loops and most have failed. I double over an inch of fly line and use 3 nail knots one after the other to create a loop. Sometimes I also use tying thread to whip finish a loop onto the line. Neither of these methods of loop making have failed me.

Jackster

Reaction score
Bluebird, did you snake the fly line all the way into the connector to where the loop stops it? It is hard to tell by the pictures. You need as much fly line surface area in the braid as possible.
Also, is the section of fly line super slim? This is a rough guess but by the picture it almost looks as skinny as the running line on some fly lines. Does the tip section taper up a little way past the tip?

BlueBird

Reaction score
Hi Jack, no. I just realized that I didnt snake all the way to the loop. only maybe about 1/2 inch into the braided. (mistake #1)
Then I heated using the lighter and so afraid to melt the fly line and/or the braided loop. So you will see the shrink jacket tube is loose. (mistake #2).
It seems that the fly line is about the right thickness. I had a hard time snaking it for that half inch. lol

I am total noob when it comes to this.. lol

Jackster

Reaction score
I had a hard time snaking it for that half inch. lol

I am total noob when it comes to this.. lol
Patience grasshopper!
You have to push the braid together so it swells then inch the line in then repeat, repeat and repeat again until you start cussing out loud and then repeat again! Eventually you will get it all the way in there. Once it is all the way in and you are proud of your effort, tug on the system a few times to seat the braid. If you do this part right you won't find that a loose section appears once you make a few casts with it.
A small gap at the bottom won't affect the strength of the connection too much but it will cause a noticeable hinge point when casting.
I learned all of this through trial and error a while back. You might find that just nail knotting a 3-6" piece of mono to the line with a loop on the other end is a lot easier to install and is quite durable.

gt05254

Reaction score
I do use them. Snake the line as far as it will go, little dab of superglue at the very end where the heat shrink will go, slide the shrink wrap to the endpoint, use the lighter. all done. 20 pound atlantic salmon have not been able to make it fail yet. Of course, there's always a first time...for everything.
Gary

BlueBird

Reaction score
I dont have any extra shrink tubes anymore. I just did one of the advise from our good folks here. Just tie a mono in between. :D

cpowell

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
Eliminate the Cortland loop from that and you are set. Using the Cortland loop is not a bad thing at all and some guys swear by them. I found them to be a bit to tedious for me.

I use a large mono to tie my butt section with, I usually use 22lb material, I have found it to be fairly compatible with most tapered leaders. Tie a loop into the end of your butt section if you wish to avoid having to tie a blood knot to connect your leader and butt section. The blood knot is very easy though and I highly recommend it.

I commonly use a butt section with a loop and then tie my tippet directly to that loop and use 6-12' of straight tippet, it is quick and easy and is a superior method for nymphing in a lot of situations. I will start with a 7-10 lb piece of tippet and then blood knot or surgeon knot a smaller tippet to that if I have leader shy fish.

BlueBird

Reaction score
Ok, I will cut that Cortland loop off totally. Besides it looks odd. lol

dillon

Reaction score
Ok, I will cut that Cortland loop off totally. Besides it looks odd. lol
Good idea. Nice nail knots, but it does look odd, and will probably cast odd. That's how one learns. Like I wrote in my post about making sink tips, I only use Cortland loops for a connection from the sink tip to a built in flyline loop, as is found on a skatgit head. I buy 30 ft of T 11, cut it in half and make 2 sink tips. Good luck.

nawilliams

Reaction score
I tried them when I first started fly fishing, I used a blow dryer to get it shrunk without melting anything. Never had one fail on a fish, a tree finally did one in. Otherwise they will hold up pretty well if you get them done right.

vjc

Vince
Reaction score
For a smoother transition I poke a needle up into the end of the fly line, about 1/2 inch, then out the side. Remove needle. Fish some 12 lb mono in the end of the fly line and out the side, pull some mono through and tie a nail knot above the place the mono comes through. Cut the mono about 8 inches from fly line and tie a small perfection loop. You can put a bit of epoxy or super glue over this. Result is very smooth and does not catch on tip guide when playing fish close. I've never had this fail and it costs almost nothing.

Last edited:

original cormorant

Reaction score
I use a whipping over the end of the braid to prevent fraying rather than nail knots. I love spinning the bobin holder round the line.