The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > Tackle Talk > Fly Lines

Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-13-2012, 02:04 AM

mariuch is on a distinguished road
Default S.A. Sharkskin

Hi fellas build a new sage one, and am buying a lamson litespped for it. Question is what line; SA sharkskin gpx or steelhead taper( its free with the reel.). I will only be fishing upstate in the salmon river/ Pulaski with it. Any input on which to get.
Old 09-13-2012, 05:06 AM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: S.A. Sharkskin

I wish I could compare but I have never used the Steelhead. I ended up buying the GPX for all the different weight rods I have. It is my line of choice.The 1/2 size larger just makes it load and shoot like a dream. I do have the Trout in SS and it cast easier than any line I have used but the GPX feels like it is pulling the line out of the rod. Not that you might need it but the GPX makes 90' cast less challenging.
Old 01-18-2013, 01:52 PM

1move has a spectacular aura about1move has a spectacular aura about

I have always been affraid and stayed away from the sharkskin lines as I feel like they will wreck the rods guides and wear them down. I went fishing with someone and they grabbed onto the line and the fish pulled which cut their hand. So still iffy on the shark skin
Old 01-18-2013, 01:59 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

Been using it for 5 years or better. Nope, does NOT hurt the guides. Cut fingers....absolutely. But ANY line can do this. I have some major scars from sinking line and running fish.
Do I notice it more with Sharkskin...No.
I fished SS 7 to 8 hours a day for a solid week and I did end up with a crack in the join of my line stripping finger. But I also get this when fishing stillwater with a sinking line. It is wet line against flesh. Line burn.
Advantages to Sharkskin way out weight the myths. ;-)
Old 01-18-2013, 02:03 PM

ted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to beholdted4887 is a splendid one to behold

Personally, I prefer the Mastery Textured series. That Sharkskin was tough on my hands. I had it on my 5 wt for streamer fishing, and it was brutal. While it casts nicely, and floats like a cork, the texture is just too extreme. The Mastery Textured series by SA just toned down the texture in it, and I've had no problems since. SS is the one and only line to ever give me issues.
comeonavs likes this.
Old 01-18-2013, 02:19 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

Between those choices it would be sharkskin for me. It is a great line. If you were buying something new, I would say get an airflo ridge- the benefits of textured in a long lasting, durable line. But that's just because it is similar for a bit less $$$$.

But considering it is a free line and you have the choice, get the sharkskin. If it bothers your finger, its cheap and easy to put together a little piece of fabric that goes over your stripping finger.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:19 PM

sweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant futuresweetandsalt has a brilliant future

The SA Steelhead is very similar to the Mastery Expert Distance Taper thus a great taper; far superior to GPX. What line weight is the ONE you are building? If you are swinging and mending steelhead flies, the extended head and long rear taper of SA M Steelhead is the way to go. Sharkskin for steelhead? I don't think so...a chromer will cut your paw off.
Old 01-18-2013, 03:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

Given your choices of free line I'm with sweetandsalt -- Steelhead taper because of the longer belly/rear taper. That will make longer mends easier.

I've had burns from non textured lines and textured lines, so it can happen. I actually like the Textured GPX lines over Sharkskin but not for steelhead.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:48 AM

chi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to beholdchi flyfisher is a splendid one to behold

If you're fishing it for Salmon and Steelhead and you're going to be throwing big mends, I vote for the Steelhead taper. I have GPX Textured WF8 and Rio Steelhead on separate spools for my steelhead fishing on large waters. When I'm going to be nymphing with long mends, I always use the steelhead taper line. It's amazing what a difference that long belly can do for mending for massively long drifts.

Cheers,
Mike.
Old 01-19-2013, 09:59 AM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
Been using it for 5 years or better. Nope, does NOT hurt the guides. Cut fingers....absolutely. But ANY line can do this. I have some major scars from sinking line and running fish.
Do I notice it more with Sharkskin...No.
I fished SS 7 to 8 hours a day for a solid week and I did end up with a crack in the join of my line stripping finger. But I also get this when fishing stillwater with a sinking line. It is wet line against flesh. Line burn.
Advantages to Sharkskin way out weight the myths. ;-)
Rather doubt the 'cuts' had anything to do with the line, more to do with having your hands wet hour hours on end. Really softens up the skin and the joints will be the first to 'crack.' Used (farming days) to have this happen to the point I had to slather my hands with "Corn Huskers" hand cream and wear silk gloves at night. Band Aid's became an 'on budget' supply item.
mojo and Joni like this.