Fly Lines Let's talk about fly lines

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By SkipS
  • 1 Post By swirlchaser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-14-2012, 05:55 PM

fly_or_die is on a distinguished road
Default Clouser line and 9' 8 wt redington predator

Have any of you guys used the Rio Clouser line with a 9' 8 wt redington Predator rod? I currently have a Rio Outbound short intermediate line for it, but looking for a floater. I called Rio and they said the clouser 8 at is 300 grain head. Will this load easily on this fast action rod? I current have a SA bass bug line that doesn't load it well. I don't really want the outbound short floater because with my casting ability I'm unable to be very accurate with it. Any help would be awesome, thanks!
Old 09-14-2012, 09:44 PM

SkipS is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Clouser line and 9' 8 wt redington predator

I too find the SA Bass Bug to be kinda light for that rod.I cant help you with the Clouser line but I like the 8wt Wulff SWF floater.Its their saltwater line but works fine in freshwater.Really loads the rod much better than the SA line.Until I picked up a Wulff Bass line, I fished a 7wt Wulff SWF on my 6wt Predator rod.The SWF is just a nice all around line.
cheeky brad likes this.
Old 09-14-2012, 10:23 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by fly_or_die View Post
I called Rio and they said the clouser 8 at is 300 grain head. Will this load easily on this fast action rod?
The Rio rep gave you the grain weight for the entire 40ish foot head. The 30 foot head weight is 231 grains according to the Rio website. That should be enough mass for larger flies that are not very wind resistant or heavy for your rod. If you are throwing heavier and more wind resistant flies, you may want to choose the WF9F line.

I use a WF9F Clouser line on my Sage TCR which is a very fast rod. I need the extra grain mass to load my rod for the larger flies.

On my old Sage VPS which is not that fast, a WF8F Clouser line was fine.

Dennis
Old 09-15-2012, 12:26 AM

mudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to beholdmudbug is a splendid one to behold

See if you can find some of the sage "Bluegill" line that has been on closeout everywhere. It was made by RIO for sage's smallest bass rod and it's a 230 grn line which is a light 9 wt. You can find them cheap. Too bad it seems STP is out of them finally.

Mine loves it.

Last edited by mudbug; 09-15-2012 at 12:46 AM.
Old 09-15-2012, 09:03 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudbug View Post
See if you can find some of the sage "Bluegill" line that has been on closeout everywhere. It was made by RIO for sage's smallest bass rod and it's a 230 grn line which is a light 9 wt. You can find them cheap. Too bad it seems STP is out of them finally.

Mine loves it.

Found one on Ebay for $25
I still chuckle when I see this line on sale. Would love to meet the genius that decided a "bluegill" line should be 230gr. The head weighs more than your average Bluegill LMAO
Old 09-15-2012, 09:22 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by swirlchaser View Post
Would love to meet the genius that decided a "bluegill" line should be 230gr.
It could had been called the "crappie."
Old 09-15-2012, 09:30 AM

swirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond reputeswirlchaser has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
It could had been called the "crappie."
LOL. I'm sure it's a good line, just can't see how I would use it to catch Bluegills. Maybe if you cast directly on top of the Gill and knock him out with a blow to the head then net him up?
theboz likes this.